Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

31 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

LWX has done a good job at splitting counties for WW watches and warnings...they need to do the same for N-NW PG and AA Counties.  I mean, the N-NW portions of those counties stand just as good a chance to get warning criteria given their location relative to the fall line.

lwx.png

Yes, thank you! Easy for both counties....rt 50 is the zone divider. You could make the case for a 3rd zone in AA by splitting it N/S by rt 50 and E/W by 97.....the N/S split is needed though.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Amped said:

NWS is smarter.  12-18" causes mass hysteria,  8-12" people will relax

yea though i think part of that is just the fact that they aren't forecasting just for our backyard.  they can roll the dice a little more without having to get trolled on social media the next day.

51 minutes ago, baltimoreguy said:

Tony Pann from WBAL tweeted the following. I have no idea what it means and think he is a poor forecaster 

To all the forecasters: noticing a big difference in model snow output from private sources and WSI MAX. The Euro and the GEM specifically.

46 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Referring to the electronic dumpster fire that is the RPM?

I assume he means the difference in the snow algorithm.  While snow maps are fun, when we are borderline with temps they are very highly sensitive to assumptions about temperature and precipitation type.  Really, we should all be looking at QPF and soundings, but those aren't as easily digestible and not nearly as fun.  I do think that we are all going to be disappointed when this comes in drier and at a 7:1 ratio.

As far as I know, the RPM is simply another version of the WRF.  The thing with the WRF is that it began as the community research model to replace the MM5.  On one hand it is great because it is free and anyone can download and tinker with it.  On the other hand, that has resulted in a ridiculous parameter space with different physics packages, microphysical parameterizations, etc.  The RPM is just somebody's take on what different choices fit together.  Thus, it hasn't been vetted like the main models have been.

Interestingly, the GEFS had the same or more QPF in general than the op. That really isn't that common. Could be noise. Usually smoothing at short ranges show less. Not this time. 

In my opinion only, I think we are better served with QPF maps being posted and not snow maps. 10:1 seems pretty unlikely and very location dependent based on rates, temps, etc. Some folks could easily jack with QPF and be a good bit lower than the highest verified snow total. I'm going with 8:1 for my yard tops. Everyone can figure out there own. 

OjfkK9.jpg

2um7Ze.jpg

Aren't places along I-95 and surrounding kind of dealing with two types of snow potentially? 

Low ratio concrete on the front end like 7 or 8:1 then maybe 10:1 in a possible deform band Tuesday morning (sleet in the middle)?

Does the trailing ULL still look to bring icing on the cake Tuesday night/Wednesday AM?

If the gfs track and general progression verifies then it will have earned a lot of respect. I haven't seen it this rock steady with a complicated coastal storm basically ever. The euro has been jumpy right up till game time so far. Of course if 0z nails whatever happens it will be loved and praised as the king. But not by me unless the gfs ends up wrong by a good margin.

1 minute ago, CARDC79 said:

Aren't places along I-95 and surrounding kind of dealing with two types of snow potentially? 

Low ratio concrete on the front end like 7 or 8:1 then maybe 10:1 in a possible deform band Tuesday morning (sleet in the middle)?

Does the trailing ULL still look to bring icing on the cake Tuesday night/Wednesday AM?

1. Potentially 

2. Perhaps

3. Maybe

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If the gfs track and general progression verifies then it will have earned a lot of respect. I haven't seen it this rock steady with a complicated coastal storm basically ever. The euro has been jumpy right up till game time so far. Of course if 0z nails whatever happens it will be loved and praised as the king. But not by me unless the gfs ends up wrong by a good margin.

yes it has an opportunity to score a coup here... especially with regard to its outputs in Boston NYC... 8-12" vs the Euro's 18-20. Obviously we will remember it but nobody cares about the differences between the GFS and Euro down here, but the differences up farther NE are significant.

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's been saying basically the same thing since last Thursday with only minor variation.  

9 minutes ago, CARDC79 said:

It's should be fairly classic in progression even though it's a complicated storm.  Warm air advection snows should come in like a wall. It should be the typical dense type of snow on the frontside of most storms. 

There should also be the classic pivot during the height. That usually brings all kinds of different ratios including sleet or rain for some. This is when the banding should bring intense snowfall to the lucky folks. If there's going to be any thunder, this is when it happens.  

After the pivot is typically the high ratio fluffy dendrites.  This time however, it won't be very fluffy by a few hours after sunrise in the lower elevation spots near the cities. Backside snow underperforms more often than not too. There will be bands but they weaken in place as the low moves further and further NE. 

The ull won't cover a lot of real estate. It will prolong the appeal though. I haven't seen any guidance show more than .3 in isolated spots.  

1 hour ago, WxMan1 said:

LWX has done a good job at splitting counties for WW watches and warnings...they need to do the same for N-NW PG and AA Counties.  I mean, the N-NW portions of those counties stand just as good a chance to get warning criteria given their location relative to the fall line.

lwx.png

What's up with the blank gap for Fredericksburg? :huh: Are we going to be in some bizarre sweet spot that doesn't get anything?

Archived