Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

RGEM would be snow to sleet/freezing rain to snow.  Better than 12z for sure.  About 1.3" of QPF and DC/just west gets a nice deform in the morning as we switch back to snow.

We lose the column after 6z or so.  By then ~0.5" has fallen.  We'd probably get another 0.1-0.2" QPF at the end as all snow.  

13 minutes ago, dtk said:

More snow maps just for fun.  12z TerpWRF (4km nest):

snow_F069_d02.jpg

18z TerpWRF-HD (driven by TerpWRF), 1km MD Domain...ignore near the boundaries and only focus on inner parts of domain:

snow_F048_d01.png

I'm gonna step out on a limb and say that's wrong.  I'm not feeling 3" in my neck of the woods.

RGEM almost ideal under the circumstances, the low bombs at just the right time and that might make the dicey 3-6h period (in late overnight) less prone to mix, also the position of the 987 mb low at 48h looks slightly west of where much of the guidance would suggest, so if that happened to be off by 100 miles the track from 36h to 48h is then ideal, maybe it would be anyway -- I am somewhat suspicious of the easy access of 0 C 850s between the Missouri low and the coast given that there is almost no warm advection. Anyway dewpoints will control this event and if rates are high enough in the dicey period then perhaps it stays 80-90 per cent snow (for I-95). Still locking in a 15-20 inch event for parts of n MD into e/c PA. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

GFS is showing the dryer area between the band to the west and east. And it's centered over DC. That reminds me of the euro for sure. 

Still has the gorgeous fronto band in the CCB Tuesday morning. Fluffy dendrites.

Archived