Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. I noticed that. I only pick up .1 over those 9 hours though. At least it should keep the cloud cover in place all day.

Look at the surface winds.    They go back to east ahead of the second low and there is up slope in the Catoctins., especially near the PA border.   Best of all, some of it falls after sundown Tuesday.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

This is going to be one of those storms where I get like 8 or 9 inches and am jealous as hell because 15 miles to my east has 18. It happens from time to time. And after this horrid Winter I need to keep that in perspective and enjoy whatever I get :)

Yeah - if the GEM gradient verifies, would be a tough pill for the Winchester folks.....hoping that doesn't play out quite that way.

Guys, watch the qpf to keep trending and expanding upward and westward lol. Unreal tonight got me pumped! What is the main difference people are seeing with the various models? Is is the southern stream moving slower, less ns interaction, more phasing?

Wow! What a spectacular start to the 00Z suite tonight! Total nuke bomb, especially the CMC, and to think how far east and drier it was just the other day. Let's hope the Ukie and Euro round out an impressive night. 

Interesting to note that as shown on the GFS and CMC, this would be reminiscent of the 2011 Commutageddon storm (the original Psuhoffman event!) but would be on a much bigger scale if it goes down this way.

People take the CMC guidance seriously but dismiss the NAM 48 hours from its start?  And it has been very consistent?  Thank doesn't seem logical.  I could see dismissing at 60+, but now?  Maybe so, but the Canadian?  It's liable to have an apps runner by tomorrow.

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

are you sure?  I'm seeing us in heavy snow still at 12z Tuesday

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gem/2017031200/gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_10.png

That's the averaged precipitation rate over the past six hours, so its not necessarily an accurate portrayal of the current condition modeled. However, I would think that it lasts longer than that as we have 8" at 06z and 20 at 12z.. so unless we get 12" in 2 hours the heavy snow extends beyond 2 AM.

Just now, snjókoma said:

That's the averaged precipitation rate over the past six hours, so its not necessarily an accurate portrayal of the current condition modeled. However, I would think that it lasts longer than that as we have 8" at 06z and 20 at 12z.. so unless we get 12" in 2 hours the heavy snow extends beyond 2 AM.

yeah, but it's definitely not over by 2am tho..more like 7 or so

8 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

People take the CMC guidance seriously but dismiss the NAM 48 hours from its start?  And it has been very consistent?  Thank doesn't seem logical.  I could see dismissing at 60+, but now?  Maybe so, but the Canadian?  It's liable to have an apps runner by tomorrow.

When the CMC and GFS and UKIE and Euro are all showing similar solutions and the NAM is out on a limb, yes, people take the first group seriously. As they always should.

24 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

This is AFTER the main event overnight tues/wed. Lol.

gfs_apcpn24_neus_12.png

Those upper lows always have to be watched. It even tries to pop another surface feature this run. That isn't shocking. It's a darn good h5 pass. If the atmosphere wasn't so used up at that point it probably would have popped a good storm there Tuesday night. 

Archived