• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

Surprised no ones said anything about Friday's potential storm. Looking pretty good for 3-6" across WNY according to NAM, GFS, and Euro. Obviously the more elevation you have the higher the totals but I wouldn't be surprised if even the Buffalo metro area picked up a couple inches of concrete Friday evening...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

So I guess the chance vanished, LOL

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

So I guess the chance vanished, LOL

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not really, at least it doesn't look that way to me. Looks the same as it did 2 days ago. 

26 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Can't believe nobody is talking. This could be interesting if trends just a touch colder

I think it's interesting now, could it trend warmer still? Sure, but as you said it could trend colder too, and it would only take a degree or two (F) to make the difference between a half inch of slop and 4 or 5". The local mets here are only calling for a sloppy dusting in the BUF metro and lower elevations but I wouldn't be so sure of that yet. All the models look to flip far WNY (lower elevations included) over to snow by 2am or so Friday morning. I think we could pickup a couple inches of slop even here at lower elevations before the April sun puts an end to the accumulations during the daylight hours before things may become a little more orographically enhanced Friday evening in the higher elevations. Find this a pretty interesting and intriguing set up that has a lot of potential, but that potential can definitely work both ways.

C NY is pretty much out of the running with this save maybe an inch or 2 on the hills south of SYR. Otherwise this is a WNY event if there is 1 to be had at all. Euro had a sloppy 1-3 from the western finger lakes westward with some 3-7 amounts in the ridges near and parallel to lake erie. I don't see more than that happening given the time of year.

Ok, so I'll be the poster. This storm has potential!! I'm calling it. I think buf sees 4-6". I think Rochester sees the same. Obviously, if that happens, some higher elevation areas see a foot or so. Kevin Williams is intrigued- our local snow lover in Rochester. And the models are trending colder (cooler). My experience is that snow in spring is easier than in fall. Idk why. 

IMG_3612.PNG

And this storm could be much more. A 986 L moving over Bing (hopefully) would create upper level havoc and dump the cold down to the lower levels. If it tracks over Rochester or even Syracuse it's off. So we are talking 75-100 miles. 

But if this big spring low tracks just a touch more South and east- the western thruway town's will get a foot. 

It IS possible. 

NAM and Canadian both seem pretty intent on the snow at least showing up for Buffalo and far western NY. How much it accumulates to is the big question. 1" of qpf would probably result in what, 4-8 inches across the lower elevation metro, before the sun gets up high and puts a stop to that. 

Would be pretty surprising to see kbuf end up over 80" on the winter, given how poor the winter was in that area!

Archived