Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One helluva storm! We seem to have an average of about 17" on the ground in flat areas here, but of course with the winds there are bare spots and also drifts to several feet. Snow rate has dropped off a bit for now at least but the winds are still ridiculous.

I'd be more excited and impressed if I wasn't still recovering from 4+ days without power following the windstorm...that was exhausting.

Big totals in northeastern NY:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
100 PM EDT WED MAR 15 2017

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 15
HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION
IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE AND COCORAHS
OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS
SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS
                     SNOWFALL           OF
                     /INCHES/   MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...CLINTON COUNTY...
   ALTONA                30.0   130 AM  3/15  PUBLIC
   1 NNW CHAZY           29.7   840 AM  3/15  NWS EMPLOYEE
   2 NNE PLATTSBURGH     26.0  1111 AM  3/15  BROADCAST MEDIA
   4 ESE PERU            23.4   600 AM  3/15  COCORAHS
   MORRISONVILLE         20.5   600 AM  3/15  TRAINED SPOTTER
   PLATTSBURGH           20.0  1003 PM  3/14  PUBLIC
   1 S PLATTSBURGH 1 S   20.0  1118 AM  3/15  CO-OP OBSERVER

...ESSEX COUNTY...
   AU SABLE FORKS        35.0  1045 AM  3/15  PUBLIC
   3 NE KEENE VALLEY     32.0   700 AM  3/15  COCORAHS
   LAKE PLACID           32.0  1121 PM  3/14  PUBLIC
   KEENE                 30.0  1001 PM  3/14  PUBLIC
   2 W WILMINGTON 2W     28.0  1030 AM  3/15  CO-OP OBSERVER
   ELIZABETHTOWN         21.0   703 AM  3/15  PUBLIC
   5 NNE OLMSTEDVILLE    18.7   800 AM  3/15  COCORAHS
   4 SW SCHROON LAKE     18.0   700 AM  3/15  COCORAHS

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...
   GABRIELS              34.3   620 AM  3/15  PUBLIC
   DUANE CENTER          32.5   624 AM  3/15  LAW ENFORCEMENT
   TUPPER LAKE           32.0   345 AM  3/15  BROADCAST MEDIA
   SARANAC LAKE          32.0  1001 PM  3/14  PUBLIC
   MALONE                29.0   924 AM  3/15  PUBLIC
   DICKINSON             25.0   935 AM  3/15  DICKINSON CENTER
   1 SW MALONE           25.0   700 AM  3/15  CO-OP OBSERVER

...ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY...
   SOUTH COLTON          22.0  1210 PM  3/15  AMATEUR RADIO
   3 ENE POTSDAM         12.5   400 AM  3/15  TRAINED SPOTTER
   4 NE OGDENSBURG       11.0   800 AM  3/15  CO-OP OBSERVER
   3 NW GOUVERNEUR       10.0   700 AM  3/15  CO-OP OBSERVER

Final tally here 27.1". About 20-21" of depth in the ground. Unreal storm. One I will remember forever. Can't remember it ever snowing so consistently for 48 hours straight. It never stopped from 12pm Monday until 1pm today. 

This brings me to 33" of snow here in the last week with more likely coming this weekend. Could we go for 40" in March?!

37 minutes ago, met_fan said:

The 17" total at the airport in Albany must be one of the lowest measurements in the Capital District, no?

They consistently come in lower than anywhere else. If it were just one or two places ahead, I'd attribute it to slant sticking weenies, but they are almost always the lowest. Even other NWS Mets were reporting higher amounts in their own nearby neighborhoods (over 20"). I normally wouldn't care, but it's frustrating from a climate study standpoint. After the last 30 year normals were done in 2010, a year or two later they went back and increased the average snow totals for kalb due to missing data. Something may be up with their ASOS or wherever or whoever measures it. People were questioning their low totals on their NWS Facebook page yesterday too.

4 hours ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Bro you ripped into Nick for no reason, but I thought it was funny as I'm sure he did to, lol!

Yeah, #drunj posting is dangerous.  

I apologize to Nick.  Uncalled for.  My punishment is suffering through an 8 hr software class today with a touch of the "flu"...

Just flurries here now.

8 hours ago, Polarbear said:

3 separate groups of 3 measurements around my yard yields 20.5" so far and still coming down...:)

Going to final tally at 25", which matches some other nearby reports I've seen. Had a couple hrs of probably the heaviest snow i saw from this system after I made my prior post. Im satisfied and impressed. Got about 3/4 plowed out before wind was to much on the quad and you wouldnt even know I did that now.While it was windy this morning it has noticeably picked up since the snow tapered and sun poked out a little. 

10 hours ago, LakeEffectKing said:

Safe to say, this is the first time since AmericanWeather created sub forums, that we ALL are super satisfied!!  We need more storms like this....like 3-4 per year!!! :)

Well...almost everyone. Toronto got only 1.5-2". Perhaps one day we'll get another 12" storm. Really happy for everyone else, though. :)

Just cant believe the totals rolling in from across the state (other than NYC and LI, lol!), and its still not done! Could not draw up a more perfect storm track and solution for entire upstate region, just can't do it. BGM AFD mentioned a report of 48.8 from Hartwick NY near Oneonta but it hasn't been published in any of the PNS Statements, so that seems to be the unofficial winner statewide. Seems a bit high with Oneonta at 33, but who knows, maybe CNY Rider can corroborate that. 

Not much showing up on models for snow next 10 days at least synoptic wise, to this may very well be the last legit snow event for many before Spring, who knows. Just need another inch or 2 to set the all-time single season record here for most snow, THEN this winter can be done.

EDIT: NM, Looks like Rider says its legit!

4 minutes ago, tim123 said:

That storm got roc to 103 for the season.  Just about average now or we would of had a crappy snow season.

Congrats and just goes to show how you can still see average or above average (In BGM's case) snowfall even with much above average temperatures like we've had most of this winter. Incredible and congrats to everyone on one of the best storms for upstate as a whole ever! 

Archived