Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 14/15 W & NNE weenies jumping from the Tobin Coastal Storm Discussion

powderfreak

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Unless this slows it's 12-20 with a weenie band maybe near 24"

It's pretty juiced so I could see a 2/5/01 phenomenon where there's a lot of 20-24"+ despite a 12 hour duration. This one actually will prob be a bit longer than that storm. But it's hard to actually forecast that until we are closer. I could easily see 12-18"

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's pretty juiced so I could see a 2/5/01 phenomenon where there's a lot of 20-24"+ despite a 12 hour duration. This one actually will prob be a bit longer than that storm. But it's hard to actually forecast that until we are closer. I could easily see 12-18"

The band itself may extend a ways agree. I guess I don't see this as a large 18--24" with lollis to 30. 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Exactly.

TIP with a 30 to 50 line, huh

Another crazy windy day, seems to be a  persistence issue. OT I didn't realize +100k still without power in ROCHESTER area from the wind storm this week.  Yikes in this cold.

Consensus track building, speed, duration differences.  By the way I watched the GFS come in and then read here. The PBP guessing gets hilarious when doing that. RUNNAWAYICEBERG presser tomorrow sometime in the afternoon.  If I have TIP type headlines look out  lol

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

If only it hadn't been written 16 years ago John.

Yeah I get it - but I still think there is some similarity there, jokes aside.

I think this thing is trying to trend toward an upper tier system and I read WPC current discussion ...and it's right up there anyway - 

I wasn't saying 30-50" would be pervasive...

Like in 1978, there was a small region in N RI that cleared 40" and I think with a stalling southern wave that gets a huge boost by capturing 500 mb deep cold/instability, I could see small pockets doing something similar. 

20-30" is probably what I could go for in my max zone -

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

6-10"?

For like western and central CT.  That isn't my forecast (will do one tomorrow evening when details are a bit clearer) but I think there are way too many red flags (back this way at least) to expect widespread 12''+ here across the state (perhaps exception being eastern part out near RI border)

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Like in 1978, there was a small region in N RI that cleared 40" and I think with a stalling southern wave that gets a huge boost by capturing 500 mb deep cold/instability, I could see small pockets doing something similar. 

Agree.

We would need this to capture sooner and slow for more...

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

For like western and central CT.  That isn't my forecast (will do one tomorrow evening when details are a bit clearer) but I think there are way too many red flags (back this way at least) to expect widespread 12''+ here across the state (perhaps exception being eastern part out near RI border)

W CT will see great banding.

12-20".

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

March 2001 dropped a small 40"-spot in se NH.

8 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Put down the 6 footer Wiz. A beast is coming for everyone. It's gonn git cha

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Agree.

We would need this to capture sooner and slow for more...

I may be reading in too deeply but "sounds" like there's some reticence to take the Euro run seriously - or, an aspect about it that is either being ignore or is not seen (either way) being that it literally stalled its low between ISP and like 40 MI E of PSM for 24 hours ...during which there are pounding QPF mechanics in two centroid regions:

NYC and SE NH...

Now, to echo those earlier sentiments ... I still see that as correctable toward a singular max region that is somewhat more prolific.  This thing is close enough to doing so and cannot be ruled out as doing so - the implications of which are hugely impactful. 

Ensembles seem most sensitive to the Arctic shortwave that is set to drop into the northern stream. It's crossing into the Canadian Prairies now.

There is only one raob station in the area, but at 12z the Euro was higher heights with it vs. the GFS. Higher heights (i.e. weaker wave) had a tendency towards a more south and east surface low. The same was true of the GEFS, which probably explains the slightly further east low track (though the Euro hooks it in harder towards the end) since the GFS had a deeper shortwave in Canada.

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I may be reading in too deeply but "sounds" like there's some reticence to take the Euro run seriously - or, an aspect about it that is either being ignore or is not seen (either way) being that it literally stalled its low between ISP and like 40 MI E of PSM for 24 hours ...during which there are pounding QPF mechanics in two centroid regions:

NYC and SE NH...

Now, to echo those earlier sentiments ... I still see that as correctable toward a singular max region that is somewhat more prolific.  This thing is close enough to doing so and cannot be ruled out as doing so - the implications of which are hugely impactful. 

I get it....I just said to Scott that someone, maybe not sne, will see 3'.

Archived