Newest Member
    joxey
March 14/15 W & NNE weenies jumping from the Tobin Coastal Storm Discussion

powderfreak

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think the meat of this storm is going to be 15 hours or less...we don't really have a big stall. It's possible we could buy like 3-6 hours of we get that lead shortwave to hook just at the right time. But that's not something I'd count on just yet. 

We could get Tip's orange sunset snow for like the next 24 hours after that though as the main ULL to the west finally passes under us. 

haha so that would be a sunset/sunrise/sunset special.  I'd actually like to see that!

1 minute ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

How is the ensemble mean computed as there appears to be a heavy skewing on the western side of the mean?  I don't see a lot of members east to pull the mean so far east.  Is there a weighting of some members heavier than others?  Just a curiosity.  Thanks.

There are four that are like out by bermuda at 78

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:

Don't know, trueweather posted that on their twitter feed

Well anyways. Either way you slice it, the OP run doesn't have very good ensemble support. Always a red flag...esp in this day and age when the ensembles seem to mimic the OP more. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Well anyways. Either way you slice it, the OP run doesn't have very good ensemble support. Always a red flag...esp in this day and age when the ensembles seem to mimic the OP more. 

and this season the highest accuracy rating has been for the EPS hasn't it?  Beyond any other ensembles or OP

I still get confused with op verses ensembles.  Maybe for the weenies out there someone can briefly explain.  I understand the ensembles are run with different variables. So they are all over the place.  What I never seem to understand is that common sense would mean that the op is the blend or "average" of the possible tracks on a given model run.  Kind of like taking the spaghetti maps  of a tropical system and showing the most likely  center track.  Wouldn't the op just be the average of the ensembles?   Obviously it is not if the op of the Euro run is east of the cluster.

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I still get confused with op verses ensembles.  Maybe for the weenies out there someone can briefly explain.  I understand the ensembles are run with different variables. So they are all over the place.  What I never seem to understand is that common sense would mean that the op is the blend or "average" of the possible tracks on a given model run.  Kind of like taking the spaghetti maps  of a tropical system and showing the most likely  center track.  Wouldn't the op just be the average of the ensembles?   Obviously it is not if the op of the Euro run is east of the cluster.

The OP is one of the members

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

The OP run is basically another ensemble member except it is the highest skilled member. It usually has higher resolution than the ensembles and the data input into it is exactly as taken from RAOB and satellite measurements, sfc obs,  etc. The ensemble members might tweak some of that data to show a range of solutions if the data was slightly off or interpolated differently between high density points. 

39 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Like yesterday.  

Given the robust showing of the euro ensembles I'm confident that run was a turd.

Ha, right - it did do that yesterday.

Yeah I saw the EPS mean ... GEFs - by the way folks, did anyone see the individual members of the GEFs? Previous runs had some historic appeals there, but this one goofed at the website.

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The OP is one of the members

The OP is run using standard conditions and each of the ensemble members have those standard conditions tweaked slightly to account for possible deviations or inaccuracies in the standard conditions.  The ensemble mean isn't a member, it's a smoothed average of all the ensemble members with tweaked conditions- thus the ensemble mean can easily be different from the OP.  It indicates where the OP may "go" in the future since relying on one set of conditions oftentimes isn't as accurate as using a spread of conditions (especially at long lead times when uncertainty is higher- that's why it's often said to use ensembles at 48 hours or longer and the OP within 48 hours.)

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The OP run is basically another ensemble member except it is the highest skilled member. It usually has higher resolution than the ensembles and the data input into it is exactly as taken from RAOB and satellite measurements, sfc obs,  etc. The ensemble members might tweak some of that data to show a range of solutions if the data was slightly off or interpolated differently between high density points. 

Yep and the higher accuracy of ensembles at long lead times comes from the fact that slight inaccuracies or deviations are magnified the further out in time that you go.

Archived