Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 14/15 W & NNE weenies jumping from the Tobin Coastal Storm Discussion

powderfreak

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I hate this earlier time change recently, we should go back to when it was April, hate it hate it hate it. Now we have to wait until almost 2 am to see the start of the Euro? No thanks.

Honestly, DST serves no purpose anymore.  With our 24 hr 3 shift society, the longer afternoons are counterbalanced by the people up at 4-8 am who keep their lights on (like me.)

Just now, Paragon said:

It's true, it's like they are so set in their ways they don't want to do something that makes sense.

It's actually because the models always run at the same time (for 00z and 12z runs), we are the ones that change what time 00z and 12z is when we flip from EST to EDT.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's actually because the models always run at the same time (for 00z and 12z runs), we are the ones that change what time 00z and 12z is when we flip from EST to EDT.

Oh I know, but I mean why don't they change the run time of the models to compensate for DST?  This is really just about the Euro, because I don't mind being up at midnight for the GFS.  I believe they use DST in most of Europe too.

So basically we would have 23z runs instead of 0z runs during DST

Just now, Paragon said:

Oh I know, but I mean why don't they change the run time of the models to compensate for DST?  This is really just about the Euro, because I don't mind being up at midnight for the GFS.

Yeah...let's tell the whole world to run their balloon launches an hour earlier because weenies along the east coast of the US can't stay up late enough for the 00z runs.

2 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Oh I know, but I mean why don't they change the run time of the models to compensate for DST?  This is really just about the Euro, because I don't mind being up at midnight for the GFS.

Because not everybody else changes time? The ECMWF isn't going to up their model run time (displacing it further from balloon soundings) to compensate for things like that.

Just now, dendrite said:

Yeah...let's tell the whole world to run their balloon launches an hour earlier because weenies along the east coast of the US can't stay up late enough for the 00z runs.

Not to mention Europe's DST isn't the same as ours.

Just now, dendrite said:

lol that's a good point.  I just didn't think an hour would make much difference for balloon launches lol

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I mean Europe must love it, after tonight weenies don't have to excuse themselves from the dinner table to sneak a peek at the 00z Euro. 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Because no everybody else changes time? The ECMWF isn't going to up their model run time (displacing it further from balloon soundings) to compensate for things like that.

They do have DST in most countries, it's just that after they changed ours it's out of sync with other countries.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

lol that's a good point.  I just didn't think an hour would make much difference for balloon launches lol

Huge difference, we have just enough time right now between launch and model init to ingest observations. If the model moves up an hour, you miss the balloon altogether and have to go off 12+ hour old data.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

They do have DST in most countries, it's just that after they changed ours it's out of sync with other countries.

Europe does, but more than just the USA and Europe take observations that go into models. We all do them at 00/12z for a reason.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Huge difference, we have just enough time right now between launch and model init to ingest observations. If the model moves up an hour, you miss the balloon altogether and have to go off 12+ hour old data.

Then it's definitely worth it to stay up another hour- and I'm back to my original notion of DST being useless because we live in a 24 hr society now lol.

20 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I hate this earlier time change recently, we should go back to when it was April, hate it hate it hate it. Now we have to wait until almost 2 am to see the start of the Euro? No thanks.

I love it, us old guys have to pee around that time so it works 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Europe does, but more than just the USA and Europe take observations that go into models. We all do them at 00/12z for a reason.

Yeah, and some countries (like Russia) actually have DST year round.  So I suppose it could be worse.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Good. That tells me Euro is spurious. That 500 low going south of LI Wed and dropping more good snows means something up with initial low allowed to escape 

I mean the 700 mb low is still in a decent position on the Euro. Deformation would be more of an I-95 crusher, but not as much a whiff as it may seem.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

I love it, us old guys have to pee around that time so it works 

:oldman:

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Good. That tells me Euro is spurious. That 500 low going south of LI Wed and dropping more good snows means something up with initial low allowed to escape 

Here are some images of the UK, I only wish they ran it in 12 hr increments.

58c42a24d4282_GZ_D5_PN_072_0000(4).gif.493daf9c480a2e71970e65c8062ede32.gif

58c42a271a1d4_GZ_D5_PN_096_0000(7).gif.62509350c5f84d13c9558010c313a61f.gif

58c42a3a11e3d_GZ_D5_PN_072_0000(5).gif.bd8286254776ab8335d83dbbd8d8bb3f.gif

58c42a3d6d2c9_GZ_D5_PN_096_0000(8).gif.9d1a3557ccb895388719f6f7ae9c4459.gif

58c42b9c1ca07_P1_GZ_D5_PN_072_0000(2).gif.89c2f4bfc2d78cde7a8c187c8dd6fca7.gif

Archived