Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 14/15 W & NNE weenies jumping from the Tobin Coastal Storm Discussion

powderfreak

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ORH_greenhorn said:

Hey guys quick question, what do you think the odds are currently of being able to land at Logan Tues at 10:33 AM?? Trying to decide whether to stick with my reservation or change now, tempted to roll the dice and stick with it but my wife will kill me if we get cancelled... think conditions will be bad enough to prevent landing by then on Tues AM or does the blizzard criteria come later in the day? TIA

Remember, its not just a question of getting in - the airline does not want its equipment stranded there for several days.  So, even if conditions are conducive to a safe landing, if the subsequent flight going out on that equipment is iffy, they'll just cancel the inbound and stage the aircraft elsewhere til things get cleaned up.

Hey guys been away visiting in-laws bad timing + Amtrak junk WiFi FTL

For eastern MA folks, I share 40/70's nervousness about this phasing even earlier and ticking west ala RGEM, but 12z EPS and 18z NAM are definitely reassuring

18z GFS digging more through 30 hrs

Just now, wxsniss said:

Hey guys been away visiting in-laws bad timing + Amtrak junk WiFi FTL

For eastern MA folks, I share 40/70's nervousness about this phasing even earlier and ticking west ala RGEM, but 12z EPS and 18z NAM are definitely reassuring

18z GFS digging more through 30 hrs

What about phone?

GFS takes 988 JUST inside the bm.  Shellacking for most.

15 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

RGEM a crusher thru 48 hr, well west of NAM.

Don't trust it because the upper levels are too strong of a flow for this to go up trough the Plymouth county or Cape Cod canal.  The model is generally a rip off of the NAM just a bit more amped.

24 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

DELAYs likely with cancelations not to far off... probably by mid afternoon; and it could deteriorate faster than that, too, because sometimes these sort of atmospheric jolt events come in like a wall and just got to 1/4 mi visibility with only an inch on the ground... but not getting better in this case.

[Edit: or, what Scott said - he's an aviation desker]

Thanks Tip and Scott, appreciate the quick replies and changed to Wednesday. Oh well, now we have to spend a whole additional day in New Orleans... the tragedy! Lol

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

GFS and RGEM tossed

Well in fairness as you said RGEM at 48 hours isn't good.  I think it's wheelhouse is 24 in.  But RGEM western outlier and GFS eastern and we have goalposts that say any point between those 2 give a big snowstorm.   But some points give an epic one.

Just now, ORH_greenhorn said:

Thanks Tip and Scott, appreciate the quick replies and changed to Wednesday. Oh well, now we have to spend a whole additional day in New Orleans... the tragedy! Lol

Def the smart move there.   Wednesday might have delays due to Tuesday, but at least you got a flight.   Get some beniets 

1 minute ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

I'm a major fan of how the computer models are seemingly increasing QPF as we near the event.  Something to keep an eye on.

Definitely, Many times we go the other way closer in, That's a lot of juice flowing north out of the GOM.

Archived