Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 14/15 W & NNE weenies jumping from the Tobin Coastal Storm Discussion

powderfreak

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You in West Conn for this one? I know you have to some worries about subsidence but overall, what else you thinking?

I'll be in WeHa...spring break is this week.  

I'm really a bit conflicted on what to say for this storm.  If I had to make a map now I would probably go 8-12" for western and central CT and 10-14" for CT/RI border.  

18z GFS bufkit for Waterbury spit out like .9" QPF with 13:1 ratios which spit out 11" I think.  Dry air (not much RH in SGZ) and subsidence are huge concerns.  Someone will get screwed 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS gives Cape Cod especially CHH the site I use for my area about 1.3" of all snow QPF.  NAM is still all rain event, that certainly won't happen.  the models this afternoon have trended towards an earlier transfer of energy between the primary low and the southern stream low (our coastal low over SC).  this will allow a more snowy solution to occur rather than a full phase western outlier track.  We don't need that for a NYC snowfall, we need a benchmark track.  I think the cone for the track should be between the benchmark and ACK, I think a track 25-75mi east of CHH seems to fit this pattern aloft.

Would one of the respected Mets please give a state-of-the-state for Eastern MA?  What are we looking at in terms of timing, precip type, and power of the storm?  Is this a potential HECS or just MECS?  Please cut through all the noise and break it down for us!  Ok back to lurking mode for me...tia.  

4 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

18z GFS gives Cape Cod especially CHH the site I use for my area about 1.3" of all snow QPF.  NAM is still all rain event, that certainly won't happen.  the models this afternoon have trended towards an earlier transfer of energy between the primary low and the southern stream low (our coastal low over SC).  this will allow a more snowy solution to occur rather than a full phase western outlier track.  We don't need that for a NYC snowfall, we need a benchmark track.  I think the cone for the track should be between the benchmark and ACK, I think a track 25-75mi east of CHH seems to fit this pattern aloft.

It could very easily track right over your head

9 minutes ago, Perlstyle said:

Would one of the respected Mets please give a state-of-the-state for Eastern MA?  What are we looking at in terms of timing, precip type, and power of the storm?  Is this a potential HECS or just MECS?  Please cut through all the noise and break it down for us!  Ok back to lurking mode for me...tia.  

First off it's early so it's not wise to get cute with amounts. Snow will start Tuesday morning probably near commute time. For now, I expect mostly snow NW of the canal. Potential for over a foot where you are in Brighton. Should end Tuesday night and just some light snow or flurries Wednesday. Probably 40-50mph or so wind in the city.

50 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Well I see we have the 18z GFS joining the eastern shift crowd...It is almost like OKX jinxed this thing by posting this way too early....  

OKX 3-11-17.png

Pretty much. Praying it was just a hiccup or at least the most east possible outcome which is still not bad. Still have time to swing it back a bit. 

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We know the drill....But the past decade or so he has laughed his way to the bank. Frankly, at this point, I am not betting against the east of CC track anymore. 

Regardless of what track is shown at 0z I am just as interested in intensity and the degree of phase.  We are certainly in a great place when in mid-March we are going to be more worried about qpf than cold source.  Lots can still happen to monkey wrench this a bit for the coast or the interior. 

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Regardless of what track is shown at 0z I am just as interested in intensity and the degree of phase.  We are certainly in a great place when in mid-March we are going to be more worried about qpf than cold source.  Lots can still happen to monkey wrench this a bit for the coast or the interior. 

I approve of this thinking. 3 deep now, gettin a little sloppy with my thoughts. 

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

There were fights on Eastern and the early days of American re the data shadowing in the NE Pac..

Heavy handed posters with somehow ...some way insider knowledge would snipe people that talked about it, as being bs - it's not true that it matters all that much.

So which is it?

I figure it's worthy seeing as the NCEP and NWS offices routinely discuss the lack of actual physical soundings going into the grids as opposed to satellite derivatives.  Probably just a-hole Mets on the board hiding behind their red-tags -

Latest research is showing this NE Pacific data gap is a huge deal. We would get more bang for our buck sampling that area for the wave train than on extra balloons in the east. 

Archived