Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 14/15 W & NNE weenies jumping from the Tobin Coastal Storm Discussion

powderfreak

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CoastalWx said:

As modeled, it doesn't seem like something I'll toss and turn over. At least for my area. 

That's what I rationalized on 12/4/03.   All good.  Look st the official measurements and it looks like I missed an everyday 12-24 storm-as modeled for this one.   I'm still with a hole in my heart 13+ years later.

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That's what I rationalized on 12/4/03.   All good.  Look st the official measurements and it looks like I missed an everyday 12-24 storm-as modeled for this one.   I'm still with a hole in my heart 13+ years later.

He will find a 17" report amidst a bunch of 20-27" reports and keep telling himself he didn't miss a doozy...then he will open his third bottle of tequila and buy his second pack of smokes. 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If I get 12-18....I'm not going to sweat it.  24-30 is a different story and I do not expect that.

Seriously you are ridiculously spoiled.  My cutoff for angst has always been a foot.   Oh one more, I missed superstorm 93-was n Dallas.  A foot that came down in 3 hours was not fun to miss.  I missed 12/9/05-not a good one to miss.  So you're ok missing 16 inches hours of heavy snow and big winds and 0 VI's?   You're a better man than me-or at least a better liar.

irrc, jan 15 didnt show up on guidnace until inside 96hr. There was mixed signals and those insane amounts didnt show up on the gfs, pretty sure. So, just saying that having consistent signal of 24-36" is first unheard of and also, not so sure models can even pick up such a thing on a consistent basis. Take the 2" qpf printout and we see what the mid levels do. 

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Oh really? Weather Channel graphic ftl then. They showed a March max of like a foot in Boston.

They suck.  We've had many bigger.  3/3/60 was close to 20.  Scooters ok missing that though even as I recall it as an all timer 57 years later...lol.g

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

Yeah they do. And man, they are hyping the bejesus out of this.

As they should.   This one in fact still be an all timer.   And certainly for the impact and number of people.  12-24 phill through New England is a biggie.    

14 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Seriously you are ridiculously spoiled.  My cutoff for angst has always been a foot.   Oh one more, I missed superstorm 93-was n Dallas.  A foot that came down in 3 hours was not fun to miss.  I missed 12/9/05-not a good one to miss.  So you're ok missing 16 inches hours of heavy snow and big winds and 0 VI's?   You're a better man than me-or at least a better liar.

I can't help what I've experienced..lol.  Maybe if there were hurricane force winds or something...but 12-18" storms just aren't unprecedented. If this was 1989 I would feel different...but I'm giving the honest truth.  Not to mention I had two of those deals this season. 

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

As they should.   This one in fact still be an all timer.   And certainly for the impact and number of people.  12-24 phill through New England is a biggie.    

Some are spoiled. I'd strangle my neighbors cat for 16-18" back in the 80s. Now, its just another run of the mill snowstorm apparently.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I can't help what I've experienced..lol.  Maybe if there were hurricane force winds or something...but 12-18" storms just aren't unprecedented. If this was 1989 I would feel different...but I'm giving the honest truth. 

I'm in the same boat as you.  Gotta get up over 15" to make it an experience.  Seen a ton of storms that high.  Already had 2 12" storms this season.

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

He will find a 17" report amidst a bunch of 20-27" reports and keep telling himself he didn't miss a doozy...then he will open his third bottle of tequila and buy his second pack of smokes. 

I can't believe you all just glossed over Will's gem of a post. Lol. 

Archived