Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA spring 2017

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

I have attached some notable streaks from the last three septembers. This current one is really impressive, but so was the one in early 2015. Also last year having two separate streaks in the month. 

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 10.29.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 10.30.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 10.30.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 10.31.11 PM.png

Thanks for posting this. I was just saying to some people at work that lately September feels more like a summer month than a quasi transition to Autumn but it was all anecdotal until seeing these numbers.

13 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

Even with the cooler shot of air this weekend, the torch is on for early Oct..

gfs-ens_z500aNormMean_namer_6.png

I just hope we don't get from 80s to 40s and 50s, I'd love a stretch of weather like we are having now, just with highs in the low to mid 70s and cool crisp evenings and nights. One part me says good, lets get this ridge in the east out of the way now, but I think a LaNina correlates to the pattern we are seeing take hold, which probably means if Nina climo is taking hold we can expect a SE ridge for at least times during winter. The other side of the coin though is that you can typically get some true arctic outbreaks with LaNina too.

3 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I just hope we don't get from 80s to 40s and 50s, I'd love a stretch of weather like we are having now, just with highs in the low to mid 70s and cool crisp evenings and nights. One part me says good, lets get this ridge in the east out of the way now, but I think a LaNina correlates to the pattern we are seeing take hold, which probably means if Nina climo is taking hold we can expect a SE ridge for at least times during winter. The other side of the coin though is that you can typically get some true arctic outbreaks with LaNina too.

CFS is screaming La Nina for the winter. Here are the Temp and Precip anommolies for JFM during a moderate to strong La Nina like the CFS is predicting

pcpnJFM.pngtempJFM.png

nino34Mon.gif

SXUS71 KPBZ 272127 RRA
RERPIT

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
526 PM EDT WED SEP 27 2017

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR PITTSBURGH...

THE HIGH TEMPERATURE AT PITTSBURGH ON WEDNESDAY WAS 91 DEGREES. THIS
BREAKS THE OLD RECORD MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 90 DEGREES FOR THE DATE
SET IN 1891.

18 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

CFS is screaming La Nina for the winter. Here are the Temp and Precip anommolies for JFM during a moderate to strong La Nina like the CFS is predicting

The winter of 1970-1971 that shows up in the analog, was mentioned in the NE subforum as a strong analog.

Even something close would be nice.

2 hours ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Are you in a small valley ?

No.  My subdivision is surrounded by farmland and woods kind of away from any major development in Cranberry.  Land drops off to the north and east into a small creek.   I noticed this last year that we got good radiational cooling after we moved in last year.

Not sure if you guys are aware, but at least for now you can get Free Euro maps here: https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/

Pretty cool to have access to precip maps etc. Hopefully it remains free through the winter. B)  I'm not sure if the plan is to offer this for free forever, or just to drum up traffic and kill off some competition before starting some sort of model subscription site. I think most of these things are being developed by Ryan Maue who did a lot of the work with this sort of stuff at WxBell.

13 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Not sure if you guys are aware, but at least for now you can get Free Euro maps here: https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/

Pretty cool to have access to precip maps etc. Hopefully it remains free through the winter. B)  I'm not sure if the plan is to offer this for free forever, or just to drum up traffic and kill off some competition before starting some sort of model subscription site. I think most of these things are being developed by Ryan Maue who did a lot of the work with this sort of stuff at WxBell.

Ryan Maue tweets about his site a lot. He is claiming right now that it will remain free and he is planning to add a lot more content to the site. He also plans on adding maps for the Ukie. 

On 10/3/2017 at 9:59 PM, MikeB_01 said:

Anyone have any experience or know anything at all about these weather stations? Seems to have everything I could want with them. Also seems like it is very easy to install and use for a good price. 

http://weatherflow.com/

I checked out the link, pretty cool!   Sleek and modern looking, and reasonably priced if it does all it says it does.   The built in lightning detector is interesting.  I checked out WXForum.net for any information but not much out there yet.  One thing I wonder about is it's ability to measure wind accurately without moving parts.  At that price point it would be comparable to the Davis Vantage Vue.

i have had the wireless Davis VP 2 since 2006.  I've replaced a few parts over the years (which can be done yourself) and have a homemade heated rain collector cone for the winter.  It has held up very well.  Once it's setup and wireless connections made between the sensors it has been flawless.  It interfaces with VWS software on my PC which ftp's my data to WU, CWOP and my own webpage.

1 hour ago, TeaysValleyWV said:

I checked out the link, pretty cool!   Sleek and modern looking, and reasonably priced if it does all it says it does.   The built in lightning detector is interesting.  I checked out WXForum.net for any information but not much out there yet.  One thing I wonder about is it's ability to measure wind accurately without moving parts.  At that price point it would be comparable to the Davis Vantage Vue.

i have had the wireless Davis VP 2 since 2006.  I've replaced a few parts over the years (which can be done yourself) and have a homemade heated rain collector cone for the winter.  It has held up very well.  Once it's setup and wireless connections made between the sensors it has been flawless.  It interfaces with VWS software on my PC which ftp's my data to WU, CWOP and my own webpage.

Thanks for the info. I was also concerned about the ability to monitor wind. Its such a unique way of measuring wind speed. The other really intriguing thing about the system is the rain gage. Very interested to see the accuracy on a rain gage that monitors the rain based on touch of rain drops. 

23 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

Finally some rain...  I love the sun, but it does feel good to get some precip.

12z GFS really hits the area with Nate remnants... looks like 2-4 inches of rain per this run, but its been fluctuating and its a pretty narrow swath so a 100 mile difference in track will changes sensible weather pretty dramatically I think. Would love to see this kind of map in the winter with a cold high building in to the North. :snowwindow:

gfs_apcpn_us_17.png

3 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

SREF and GEFS both have us in the 1.5-1.75 in of rain for Nate. HRRR right now is awfully bearish on the precip. Right now looks like less than an in total from the system

18z HRRR putting us with almost 2 in of rain now. Just need to wait and see what falls at this point.

Anyone know if they change the max size of a file we are allowed to include on here? I feel like all of the files that I want to post are too big and cannot seem to get them down in size. ...

Anyway, I was going to put  a picture of the current radar and talk about how this would be the perfect storm for the winter. As long as the cold air was established, this is textbook. 

Special Weather Statement

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
518 PM EDT SUN OCT 15 2017

OHZ041-PAZ013>016-020>022-152215-
Columbiana-Armstrong-Jefferson-Butler-Clarion-Lawrence-Beaver-
Allegheny-
518 PM EDT SUN OCT 15 2017

...A LINE OF SHOWERS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING GUSTY WIND WILL AFFECT
SOUTHEASTERN COLUMBIANA...NORTHERN BEAVER...SOUTHEASTERN LAWRENCE...
BUTLER...NORTH CENTRAL ALLEGHENY...NORTHWESTERN JEFFERSON...ARMSTRONG
AND SOUTHERN CLARION COUNTIES...

At 517 PM EDT, radar indicated showers were located along a line
extending from 7 miles east of Slippery Rock to Ohioville. Movement
was east at 50 mph.

Wind gusts up to 50 mph are possible with these showers which are
moving with the cold front.

Locations impacted include...
Cranberry...                      Butler...
Beaver Falls...                   Monaca...
Clarion...                        Kittanning...
Brookville...                     Rimersburg...
Economy...                        Ellwood City...
Homeacre-Lyndora...               New Brighton...

This includes the following highways...
  Pennsylvania Turnpike between mile markers 12 and 29.
  Interstate 79 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 49 and 72.
  Interstate 80 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 53 and 55, and
  between mile markers 58 and 85.

LAT...LON 4129 7885 4068 7946 4066 8058 4113 7993
TIME...MOT...LOC 2117Z 261DEG 42KT 4110 7993 4068 8046

$$

Frost Advisory

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
1121 AM EDT Mon Oct 16 2017

OHZ039>041-048>050-057>059-068-069-PAZ020-021-029-031-073-075-
WVZ001>004-012-021-509-510-170200-
/O.NEW.KPBZ.FR.Y.0004.171017T0400Z-171017T1400Z/
Tuscarawas-Carroll-Columbiana-Coshocton-Harrison-Jefferson-
Muskingum-Guernsey-Belmont-Noble-Monroe-Beaver-Allegheny-
Washington-Greene-Westmoreland-Fayette-Hancock-Brooke-Ohio-
Marshall-Wetzel-Marion-Monongalia-
Ridges of Eastern Monongalia and Northwestern Preston-
Including the cities of New Philadelphia, Dover, Carrollton,
Malvern, East Liverpool, Salem, Columbiana, Coshocton, Cadiz,
Steubenville, Zanesville, Cambridge, Martins Ferry,
St. Clairsville, Caldwell, Woodsfield, Aliquippa, Beaver Falls,
Ambridge, Monaca, Pittsburgh Metro Area, Washington, Canonsburg,
Waynesburg, Murrysville, Greensburg, New Kensington, Uniontown,
Weirton, Follansbee, Wellsburg, Wheeling, Moundsville,
New Martinsville, Fairmont, Morgantown, and Coopers Rock
1121 AM EDT Mon Oct 16 2017

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 10 AM EDT
TUESDAY...

The National Weather Service in Pittsburgh has issued a Frost
Advisory, which is in effect from midnight tonight to 10 AM EDT
Tuesday.

* TEMPERATURES...32 to 37 degrees.

* IMPACTS...Unprotected sensitive vegetation may be damaged.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Frost Advisory means that widespread frost is expected.
Sensitive outdoor plants may be killed if left uncovered.

&&

$$

On 10/15/2017 at 6:29 PM, MikeB_01 said:

Wanted to try out a new WeatherFlow device. Got soaked. Only recorded a 13.8 mph gust. That was disappointing. 

What was cool to watch was the temperature. Went from 74.1° at the beginning to 68.2° by the time i went inside. I was only out there for 4 minutes.

So you got one, cool.   I'd be interested in how it works out.

My dew point is already in mid 30's....should be a frosty morning.

Archived