Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA spring 2017

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the South Hills got hit pretty good with the storms. Not as much in the North. Heavy rain so far .52 and some thunder and maybe a 30-40 mph gust earlier.

Looks like a cooler less humid weekend. 

Hard to believe that we are only several months away from winter weather talk. 

Let's hope this is a year for a few good snowstorms anyway. Looking forward to it.

18 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Looks like the South Hills got hit pretty good with the storms. Not as much in the North. Heavy rain so far .52 and some thunder and maybe a 30-40 mph gust earlier.

Let's hope this is a year for a few good snowstorms anyway. Looking forward to it.

What little severe weather we've gotten so far this season, have been mostly tiny embedded cells wrapped in heavy rain.

I can't remember the last time we had a real line of severe weather sweep across the county, with widespread hail and 60+ mph gusts.

I remember as a kid, many times seeing the entire western horizon turn black, ahead of a cold front.

40 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Yeah, me too. 

I just hope we're not in the middle of a long snowstorm drought, like what we had from Feb 1978 - Nov 1992.

8 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I'm not sure how often a model shows a CAT3 hurricane riding this far inland at our latitude, but a couple 6z GFS ens members show something along those lines. Pre-game for winter 

I was just thinking about how long it's been since we've had a decent snowstorm early in the season.

We could use something like an Ivan setup, but with a much sharper cold front at the surface of course. Too much upper level push, and we lose the moisture, so it's definitely a thread the needle type setup

Mabey a Nov 1913 type storm, aka the Great Lakes white hurricane.

1 hour ago, Mailman said:

There was a GFS ensemble member at 18z yesterday that put a 974mb low right over Allegheny County.  I just laughed and went on my way.  

How about this from the OP 12z today then... I'm not sure what the biggest impact tropical system would be in our history, I know we've had some big impacts like flooding from Ivan but this would probably have some insane sustained wind. Right now GFS is on its own, Euro seems to be more of an east coast scrapper then recurve as of 00z but some of these maps are noteworthy for posterity sake! Outside of when I'm vacationing in the Carolina's, I don't pay much attention to tropical stuff because usually by the time any remnants effect us its fairly mundane.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_36.thumb.png.14f76303576ef551daf66181c7f9ebb7.png

17 hours ago, CoraopolisWx said:

I was just thinking about how long it's been since we've had a decent snowstorm early in the season.

We could use something like an Ivan setup, but with a much sharper cold front at the surface of course. Too much upper level push, and we lose the moisture, so it's definitely a thread the needle type setup

Mabey a Nov 1913 type storm, aka the Great Lakes white hurricane.

I think it was back in Oct 2005 we got some snow that was somehow related to a tropical system, can't remember the exact details off the top of my head.

There was a surprise early snow storm in November from a late season tropical system in 1980.  I was commuting to PSU New Ken campus  then and was stuck in traffic going up 7th St Rd hill for hours.  NWS missed the forecast calling for mostly rain but it stayed all snow.  It was quick and heavy.  I left Natrona Hieghts with just a few flakes to roads covered by time I got to New Kensington.  It was around 8" of heavy wet snow.  PennDOT was caught off guard and the commute home was worse.

2 minutes ago, TeaysValleyWV said:

Interesting...currently getting a thunderstorm on such a cool evening.  Seems to be increasing in strength just as it approached my area.  Must be interacting with something.

I just received notice of a severe warning for that cell. Current temps in northern Allegheny and souther Beaver and Butler counties is only in the upper 50s to low 60s. Interesting indeed.

7 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

just received notice of a severe warning for that cell. Current temps in northern Allegheny and souther Beaver and Butler counties is only in the upper 50s to low 60s. Interesting indeed

Some pinks on radar at the turnpike and 79 intersection.  I was parusing that mess of the Irma thread and started seeing flashes off to the west.  Really lightning and rumbling now.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, meatwad said:

SXUS71 KPBZ 242128 RRA
RERPIT

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
527 PM EDT SUN SEP 24 2017

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR PITTSBURGH...

THE HIGH TEMPERATURE AT PITTSBURGH ON SUNDAY WAS 90 DEGREES. THIS
TIES THE RECORD MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE FOR THE DATE SET IN 1881.

Crazy... though not surprising when you look at the 500mb heights. The temp is off to the races everyday when they extend that far north

USdeltaz.gif

On 9/24/2017 at 11:11 PM, MikeB_01 said:

Crazy... though not surprising when you look at the 500mb heights. The temp is off to the races everyday when they extend that far north

Third September in a row, that we've had a significant heat wave.

It always been hot a couple days in September, and even October, but the duration these past few years has been noteworthy.

Archived