Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA spring 2017

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

If it makes you guys feel any better, NYC and philly are both changing to ice and having massive meltdowns. 

1 minute ago, 2001kx said:

That definitely makes me feel better.

While I definitely get the schadenfreude when this sort of thing happens, and I'd be lying if I said otherwise, I'd much rather be getting blasted by a big storm even if that means a lot of other places are too. Don't get me wrong, next time an inland runner Miller A bomb hits and the big cities are rain I won't feel bad, but certainly wouldn't mind if they got snow too if we get a big hit.

Just now, RitualOfTheTrout said:

While I definitely get the schadenfreude when this sort of thing happens, and I'd be lying if I said otherwise, I'd much rather be getting blasted by a big storm even if that means a lot of other places are too. Don't get me wrong, next time an inland runner Miller A bomb hits and the big cities are rain I won't feel bad, but certainly wouldn't mind if they got snow too if we get a big hit.

I don't mind either if they get a big storm, but they literally whine constantly if they don't get a 20+ storm each year, so if I'm going to miss, I hope they miss too.

1 hour ago, north pgh said:

This is comical. Everyone on this board knew we weren't getting any snow. We are the only ones. Local news has egg on their faces. At 11:00 last night they were telling people to stay off the roads today. My wife is stunned as she was told not to come in today and has work to do.

Local news, as always was slow to react despite facts to the contrary. They hyped the story and ran with it, probably to boost rating, web clicks. Granted I get they can't swing wildly from one extreme to another, but probably enough time was there to inform the public this would be a low to non impact event. Speaking of egg on their faces, there was a storm in the early to mid 90s were the Met on, I believe it was channel 4, came on the air with brown bag over his head for a storm that busted towards a big event.

Lots of people saying they know people who were told to stay home today or had events canceled for nothing. Even NWS was a bit slow but did continually downgrade totals, and I think even as of 18z models yesterday it looked like we would still eek out 2-4. Models are showing a Huron \ Erie connection, so wouldn't be surprised if we pick up more from that than the whole synoptic event.

Just now, Burghblizz said:

Williamsport looks like a good spot finally. They have been shafted even going back to the 90s storms. Not sure they cracked 15" in the last 30 years. Also too far north for PD or for the 2010 mega winter.

Long term climo says there  to start being more inland storms and less I95 specials.

Same here...We havent had 12" or more since the dec 5th storm (Not sure when it was but i think early 2000's )

8 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I don't mind either if they get a big storm, but they literally whine constantly if they don't get a 20+ storm each year, so if I'm going to miss, I hope they miss too.

Well I do get the irritation with the complaining, especially when you look at these storms relative to climatology. I mean last year that blizzard in January dropped 29 inches in Baltimore, meanwhile they average 20.6 a year. If we got a storm that dropped 150% climo in one event I'd probably not complain for a few years even if there were some lousy winters in between.

1 minute ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Well I do get the irritation with the complaining, especially when you look at these storms relative to climatology. I mean last year that blizzard in January dropped 29 inches in Baltimore, meanwhile they average 20.6 a year. If we got a storm that dropped 150% climo in one event I'd probably not complain for a few years even if there were some lousy winters in between.

Pretty sure that the I-95 corridor has averaged one foot plus storm at least the last 5 or 6 years, and there have been several 20 inch storms while we can't get anything over 7 inches lol. 

Think about this...some of these places will likely surpass our total year snowfall with this one event.

9 minutes ago, 2001kx said:

Same here...We havent had 12" or more since the dec 5th storm (Not sure when it was but i think early 2000's )

Wow - didn't realize that. You wouldnormally do well when we do in big storms, but I guess the 2003 and 2010 storms had pretty sharp cutoffs.

There were good storms in early December in 02 and 03. So u are probably thinking of or of those.  I got 13" in that dec '03 storm. Kind of weird sweet spot in an otherwise 8-10" storm here.

15 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Wow - didn't realize that. You wouldnormally do well when we do in big storms, but I guess the 2003 and 2010 storms had pretty sharp cutoffs.

There were good storms in early December in 02 and 03. So u are probably thinking of or of those.  I got 13" in that dec '03 storm. Kind of weird sweet spot in an otherwise 8-10" storm here.

Got 11.5" during the feb 2010 storm so i have been close.

57 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Local news, as always was slow to react despite facts to the contrary. They hyped the story and ran with it, probably to boost rating, web clicks. Granted I get they can't swing wildly from one extreme to another, but probably enough time was there to inform the public this would be a low to non impact event. Speaking of egg on their faces, there was a storm in the early to mid 90s were the Met on, I believe it was channel 4, came on the air with brown bag over his head for a storm that busted towards a big event.

Lots of people saying they know people who were told to stay home today or had events canceled for nothing. Even NWS was a bit slow but did continually downgrade totals, and I think even as of 18z models yesterday it looked like we would still eek out 2-4. Models are showing a Huron \ Erie connection, so wouldn't be surprised if we pick up more from that than the whole synoptic event.

The bitching in Johnstown is going to be epic

Surprisingly I'm not upset at all about this. I was gonna stay away but seeing philly and NYC switch to sleet makes this better.  Funny thing is we knew a day out that we could most likely see less than forecasted and people still hyped it up. I never heard more hysteria than hearing people talking about the storm yesterday. Makes me wonder how people will react once we actually get something notable. Well maybe a threat next week and then who knows but we are closing in on another bad winter. 

1 hour ago, north pgh said:

What bothers me most is how unprofessional The Weather Channel has become. They are just a bunch of snow weenies hyping every single minor detail of this storm. I miss Joe Denardo and Bob Kudzma. I wonder what they think when they turn on this crap.

I see Kudzma in church every week. DiNardo was the best

2 hours ago, north pgh said:

What bothers me most is how unprofessional The Weather Channel has become. They are just a bunch of snow weenies hyping every single minor detail of this storm. I miss Joe Denardo and Bob Kudzma. I wonder what they think when they turn on this crap.

The ole Denardo-McFarland weather service.  I bet only a few on here remember that.  Joe was always anti hype and usually forecasted less snow than the other TV mets.  I always hated when Dad watch channel 4 for the weather because they were always downplaying a storm....lol.  He also seemed focused only on the immediate Pittsburgh city area.  He always used aviation jargon too.

My Mom liked Bob Kudzma for weather.

Archived