joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA spring 2017

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Last year and 2014 were single handedly the worst. Last year my cousin 40ish miles away got a foot. Watching moderate-heavy bands disappate was brutal. 

There have been a lot. 2008 Ohio valley blizzard was really bad...watching areas 50-100 miles west get a full fledged blizzard was torturous while I think we got an inch. 

Last year was awful too but at least I ended up with about 5 inches.

46 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

There have been a lot. 2008 Ohio valley blizzard was really bad...watching areas 50-100 miles west get a full fledged blizzard was torturous while I think we got an inch. 

Last year was awful too but at least I ended up with about 5 inches.

That was tough too but even that storm dropped a surprise 4-6 once we changed over. I remember leaving for a friends house for a few hours and it was raining and walking out to that. Couldn't believe it.

48 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:

Jan 3, 1994. Now that was a storm. We were in a great spot and the big cities to our east got screwed for a change. I picked up 27 inches IMBY. 

Jan94Storm.png

We were living in Wooster, OH then and got screwed big time.  If any place is worse than Pittsburgh, it's north central Ohio outside of the lake effect snow belt.

5 hours ago, colonel717 said:

The good ole days, shoveling snow for money... I was always the 1st out in my neighborhood.  Would usually get $3-$4 maybe $5 or so for each driveway.  Now those driveways would pay prob $20  I remember in early 80's I went to shovel the owners driveway from Scottos Pizza at Century 3.  He had a nice new house. He said I'll take care of you after you shovel. There were 2 others with me.  We shoveled and in his strong Italian voice said heres a dollar for each of yous... We were so pissed, I think it was like a 6 inch snow.  We went and threw a lot of the snow back on his driveway...

Good God, you were getting that back in the 70's??? Man did I work cheap shoveling snow then as a kid in the mid-late 80's. I live in town, so a sidewalk usually netted me 50 cents to a dollar. A small driveway was maybe $2. I can remember going out all day long after it snowed when I was 10-11-12 years old, and being tickled to death if I came home with 15-20 bucks! Now I'm almost 40 and I live in the house I grew up in. Bought it after my parents divorced a few years ago. NEVER ONCE has a kid rung my doorbell asking me if he could shovel my sidewalk. The only time these little brats in this neighborhood ring my doorbell is when they do it, then run away and hide behind a parked car so that they can laugh when I answer and nobody's there.

I used to do that too though, so I shouldn't complain.

4 minutes ago, snowsux said:

Good God, you were getting that back in the 70's??? Man did I work cheap shoveling snow then as a kid in the mid-late 80's. I live in town, so a sidewalk usually netted me 50 cents to a dollar. A small driveway was maybe $2. I can remember going out all day long after it snowed when I was 10-11-12 years old, and being tickled to death if I came home with 15-20 bucks! Now I'm almost 40 and I live in the house I grew up in. Bought it after my parents divorced a few years ago. NEVER ONCE has a kid rung my doorbell asking me if he could shovel my sidewalk. The only time these little brats in this neighborhood ring my doorbell is when they do it, then run away and hide behind a parked car so that they can laugh when I answer and nobody's there.

It was very late 70's, early 80's

22 minutes ago, snowsux said:

I understand what you are saying, I have said before kids are lazy, but having 2 of my own now I have to say, I don't know if I would let them out doing strangers walks with how many weirdos and idiots, bad people there are out there. I mean times have changed since 70's and 80's and it's only going to get worst.

1 minute ago, psunate1977 said:

I understand what you are saying, I have said before kids are lazy, but having 2 of my own now I have to say, I don't know if I would let them out doing strangers walks with how many weirdos and idiots, bad people there are out there. I mean times have changed since 70's and 80's and it's only going to get worst.

They're the ones with the shovels though. Tell em' to beat anyone over the head who gives em' trouble (or who doesn't wanna pay up).

10 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Definitely a "close the shades storm". Lol

Not gonna lie, it sucks missing out again. But at least I can crash out early tonight, knowing there's nothing to track. 

I am looking forward to tracking some severe storms this spring

1 hour ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Definitely a "close the shades storm". Lol

Not gonna lie, it sucks missing out again. But at least I can crash out early tonight, knowing there's nothing to track. 

Close the shades indeed.. NWS looks primed to further decrease snowfall amounts per latest discussion, which is probably warranted.

Early evening update:

Have backed off precipitation onset further based on latest
trends and consensus of hi-res short-term guidance indicating
previous runs underestimated drier air in place.
Will hold off on any major adjustments to snow amounts until
00Z runs are in for evaluation...expecting this to be picked up.

Probably going to get just enough to make the morning commute miserable tomorrow... only take a coating to a a half inch to do that.

This is what my forecast turned into.

Tonight
Snow showers likely, mainly after 3am. Cloudy, with a low around 29. East wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
Tuesday
Snow showers likely before 10am, then snow likely after 10am. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Northeast wind 5 to 11 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Tuesday Night
Snow likely before 9pm, then snow showers likely, mainly between 9pm and 10pm. Cloudy, with a low around 16. Northwest wind 10 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Archived