SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh PA spring 2017

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RitualOfTheTrout said:

GFS really cut back on western edge, even CPA gets cut back.

All the folks at work counting on being able to sleep in tomorrow are going to be in for a rude awakening.. probably literally lol

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017031312/gfs_asnow_neus_9.png

Not to mention all the kids banking on a two hour delay. Sorry not happening. 

2 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Yeah really, Lol Lol.

If you go to Now data, our portion was more the 16th-17th, this is only showing the east coast part.

Well our over performers are usually from 2 to 4 inches, so this would fit with what would constitute an over performer...:D

36 minutes ago, TeaysValleyWV said:

I'm dating myself but January 1978 was the best I recall in this area.  Two big dumps in one week, one was a 16 incher and the other about 12.  They were fine grained snows with very little wind and if I remember right during the daytime hours.   We had over 30 inches that month.   The preceding year had bitter cold with numerous squalls, so two very good winters back to back.

The following month I arrived into this world. My dad almost wrecked in the snow trying to get my mother to the hospital in the middle of the night. I had a prolapsed umbilical cord and was nearly a month post-mature (I probably didn't wanna deal with all the snow and cold), and they wound up having to do an emergency c-section to remove my oversized ass from the womb. 

29 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

I was a young kid back then but remember it was one of our rare blizzard warnings.  I don't recall getting that much snow that you got living in West Mifflin at the time. My totals could be off but I recall one we got about 9 inches and the other 7 during the week.  We were off school for 5 days

That rare blizzard warning was in January 1977. I remember Uncle Ed Shaughnessy on KDKA radio breaking the news that morning.  We missed about month of school that year, mainly due to the bitter cold and natural gas shortage.  The governor closed all schools in PA for several days.

i was growing up in Armstrong county where we got the big snows in 1978.  I remember the north hills of Pittsburgh got 16" too from that one storm.  There was no school that week for sure.

37 minutes ago, TeaysValleyWV said:

I'm dating myself but January 1978 was the best I recall in this area.  Two big dumps in one week, one was a 16 incher and the other about 12.  They were fine grained snows with very little wind and if I remember right during the daytime hours.   We had over 30 inches that month.   The preceding year had bitter cold with numerous squalls, so two very good winters back to back.

I was in 10th grade and I remember it well. I decided to shovel sidewalks for money in west view and made some decent money. When the second storm hit I went back to the same people and really made out. The only issue was they were small homes and driveways and I had a heck of a time piling the snow because there wasn't any place to put it. I had a neighbor with a driveway with walls on the side and I had to carry the snow across the street. I made good money but I remember it was really tiring for a skinny kid. Would love to have that again. Those were the days...

The GFS has probably been the most consistent with the storm, probably should have given it more weight while the other models were flopping.  It might score a coup with this one.  Either way it was never a great storm.  Too many dependencies to get it in the right position, too much Miller B.  Need El Nino to come back for any hope.

14 minutes ago, north pgh said:

I was in 10th grade and I remember it well. I decided to shovel sidewalks for money in west view and made some decent money. When the second storm hit I went back to the same people and really made out. The only issue was they were small homes and driveways and I had a heck of a time piling the snow because there wasn't any place to put it. I had a neighbor with a driveway with walls on the side and I had to carry the snow across the street. I made good money but I remember it was really tiring for a skinny kid. Would love to have that again. Those were the days...

The good ole days, shoveling snow for money... I was always the 1st out in my neighborhood.  Would usually get $3-$4 maybe $5 or so for each driveway.  Now those driveways would pay prob $20  I remember in early 80's I went to shovel the owners driveway from Scottos Pizza at Century 3.  He had a nice new house. He said I'll take care of you after you shovel. There were 2 others with me.  We shoveled and in his strong Italian voice said heres a dollar for each of yous... We were so pissed, I think it was like a 6 inch snow.  We went and threw a lot of the snow back on his driveway...

16 minutes ago, TeaysValleyWV said:

That rare blizzard warning was in January 1977. I remember Uncle Ed Shaughnessy on KDKA radio breaking the news that morning.  We missed about month of school that year, mainly due to the bitter cold and natural gas shortage.  The governor closed all schools in PA for several days.

i was growing up in Armstrong county where we got the big snows in 1978.  I remember the north hills of Pittsburgh got 16" too from that one storm.  There was no school that week for sure.

I remember the gas shortage and cold I believe it was 1977. We were all at a friends house playing board games that Monday and Kdka came on the radio with school closings and our school and many others were closed for the rest of the week! We celebrated but soon were board by the end of the week as it was too cold to stay outside. No cable or computers haha.

27 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Yes, LOL....same here.  I had a lot of old neighbors.  I was whooped shoveling sidewalks.  I ran out of space for snow trying to keep our street parking spaces open.  it's hard to find a kid now a days willing to do that.

.SHORT TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
The coastal low bombs out near New England Tuesday spreading a 
generous amount of snow to it's west under the diving upper 
trough. Snow production will be further enhanced by favorable 
upper jet support. Despite the uncertainty addressed in the near
term above, interaction between the tightening baroclinic zone
over the region and the strengthening coastal low may still
support a deformation back of snow that could support higher
snow totals outside of the ridges. This is supported by the
newest GFS and NAM despite the cut in snow totals. 

Bulk of the heaviest snow should be done just after sunrise on
Tuesday with snow showers continuing in north-northwest flow on
the backside of the departing coastal as it moves into New
England. Strong cold advection and the pivoting upper trough
will support further accumulation through the day Tuesday and
Tuesday night, with upslope enhancement supporting a
continuation in headlines through Wednesday morning. Even if
snow amounts in the lowlands remain light by Tuesday morning,
northwest flow should support the current advisories. 

Just now, Mailman said:

.SHORT TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
The coastal low bombs out near New England Tuesday spreading a 
generous amount of snow to it's west under the diving upper 
trough. Snow production will be further enhanced by favorable 
upper jet support. Despite the uncertainty addressed in the near
term above, interaction between the tightening baroclinic zone
over the region and the strengthening coastal low may still
support a deformation back of snow that could support higher
snow totals outside of the ridges. This is supported by the
newest GFS and NAM despite the cut in snow totals. 

Bulk of the heaviest snow should be done just after sunrise on
Tuesday with snow showers continuing in north-northwest flow on
the backside of the departing coastal as it moves into New
England. Strong cold advection and the pivoting upper trough
will support further accumulation through the day Tuesday and
Tuesday night, with upslope enhancement supporting a
continuation in headlines through Wednesday morning. Even if
snow amounts in the lowlands remain light by Tuesday morning,
northwest flow should support the current advisories. 

:snowing:Thinking positive

I like to save weather documents and pictures over the years so I can have history and remember historical events. This photo is already saved for my future chuckles. If you wanted to piss off a snow lover and make a fake map you couldn't conceive that something this bad could happen in our area. Calling it "Screw Job March 2017".

gem_asnow_neus_7.png

4 minutes ago, north pgh said:

I like to save weather documents and pictures over the years so I can have history and remember historical events. This photo is already saved for my future chuckles. If you wanted to piss off a snow lover and make a fake map you couldn't conceive that something this bad could happen in our area. Calling it "Screw Job March 2017".

gem_asnow_neus_7.png

haha wow this location is comical

17 minutes ago, north pgh said:

That is why I post so many maps in here.  I like to come back and view down the road.

haha wow this location is comical

Yep. All you can do is laugh at this point. People always kill me when they whine about snow around here. I'm like, "What are you complaining about? We rarely get anything big around here. I think you can handle the couple of inches we end up getting while others get a foot." This is why I'm always so skeptical anymore and have low expectations. This usually ends up being the result.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Archived