Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13-14 Storm

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noise at this range probably but GFS really cut totals. Biggest takeaway this run is the Western slp trend finally stopped. The qpf noise is probably more a function of the GFS coming in line aloft with other guidance like the Euro more than anything else and adjusting features at the surface. I'm willing to bet totals spike again at either 0z or at 6z. Still, 8-12" is nothing to sneeze at for SE PA in mid-March.

From what I have been reading from the MA forum is that the GFS is trending towards the Euro solution.

This may benefit the MA forum more so than us up here, but i'll take it.

Plenty of time to nudge east, for become more intense therefore drawing in colder air moving the r/s line east even if the slp isn't east.

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

Noise at this range probably but GFS really cut totals. Biggest takeaway this run is the Western slp trend finally stopped. The qpf noise is probably more a function of the GFS coming in line aloft with other guidance like the Euro more than anything else. I'm willing to bet totals spike again at either 0z or at 6z. Still, 8-12" is nothing to sneeze at for SE PA in mid-March.

I'm looking for a day off and this will do it. 

I want January 2016 wind too 

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Noise at this range probably but GFS really cut totals. Biggest takeaway this run is the Western slp trend finally stopped. The qpf noise is probably more a function of the GFS coming in line aloft with other guidance like the Euro more than anything else and adjusting features at the surface. I'm willing to bet totals spike again at either 0z or at 6z. Still, 8-12" is nothing to sneeze at for SE PA in mid-March.

Or it was tougher trying to figure out what was left over from today's snow.   This is the first run completely outside today's event.

Or it was tougher trying to figure out what was left over from today's snow.   This is the first run completely outside today's event.

Nah, I always use the 24 hour total snowfall maps to specifically avoid seeing possible totals from other events. Storm was hauling arse this run. Again though, I think this might just be noise as the GFS transitions towards the Euro.

I was trying to figure out if this was a Miller A or Miller B storm and thought it was more like a hybrid of the two. 

Sure enough psuhoffman and bob chill both agreed, and dryslotting isn't such an issue......yet.

Wait til tonight's gfs run to see if it falls in line with the euro, assuming the euro holds serve.

I did say to check out the nyc forum for humor and did they deliver.

"If I was the owner of this board, I would bring in grief counselors since we haven't had a 12" snowfall in the warmest winter to date"..... 

I wouldn't worry too much about the drop in qpf on the GFS. If other guidance tonight and tomorrow AM begin to speed this thing up and we see significant qpf drops across the board, then we can say its a real trend. For now, biggest takeaway is track is off the coast rather than inland over the Western DE/MD border.

2 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

And rightfully so. Very tricky. Especially if this ticks west. Not much room on right goal post if you believe GFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly...but more than normal..not even talking about it? Hell, Glenn doesn't even give a forecast any longer. He'll say "look at the bottom of the screen". WTF?

13 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Certainly...but more than normal..not even talking about it? Hell, Glenn doesn't even give a forecast any longer. He'll say "look at the bottom of the screen". WTF?

I wonder if their feeling the impact of social media weather outlets, most if not all are very good and update more frequently.

Think of the payroll that the their staff must be when it's possible it isn't in demand as much anymore.

Wxsim still on board with 16" to 22"....I will be watching from  sunny Clearwater FL but tracking with all of you as whatever will be...will be

Enjoy!

Monday night: Mostly cloudy in the evening, becoming dense overcast after
 midnight. Snow likely after midnight. Low 25. Wind chill ranging from 14 to 29.
 Wind east-southeast around 6 mph, gusting to 16 mph, in the evening, becoming 12
 mph, gusting to 21 mph, after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
 Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around half an inch. Snow accumulation
 4 to 6 inches.

Tuesday: Dense overcast in the morning, becoming cloudy in the afternoon. Snow
 likely. High 30. Wind chill ranging from 14 to 20. Wind east around 13 mph,
 gusting to 22 mph, in the morning, becoming north in the afternoon. Chance of
 precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly between 1 and
 2 inches. Snow accumulation 12 to 16 inches.

1 minute ago, RedSky said:

Total QPF line shows 2.5" cutting through central SEPA. The low is so close it's over south jersey yet 10 miles NW of I95 stays snow, outrageous wouldn't think that was possible. 

yea that's impressive. Crazy gradient with it as well

0z GFS is rain for basically everyone I-95 on SE and even interior areas don't get much.  The track is much further inland.  If the Euro caves I think we're in trouble.

Huh? GFS is widespread 16-20"+ SE PA to the Delaware River with hardly any mixing except right on I95 *maybe* verbatim. S and E drops off quickly. Otherwise epic run. Models moving towards euro. CMC came west and coming in line now too.

Total QPF line shows 2.5" cutting through central SEPA. The low is so close it's over south jersey yet 10 miles NW of I95 stays snow, outrageous wouldn't think that was possible. 

I think between the dynamics of the storm bombing and actually having a good airmass in place to start keeps the r/s line at bay while the thermal levels begin collapsing s and e toward the slp center.

Archived