SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13-14 Storm

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

no I said 14 to 18 here... if we sleet for hours, there's no way we get there and a foot may even be pushing it. most models didn't flip us until 6 or 7 am from what I saw.

Going off of 6z HRRR this is the hour we mix, then drop back in to all snow for 4-5 hours. A close to mix (probably actually mix the way this has gone) for 2 hours, then another 2 hours of snow before mixing for good.

Again, that was last hour's run, let's see what this hour says.

50/50 snow/sleet mix now. Latest hrrr weaker with storm which doesnt allow sleet/snow line to collapse S and E. Per that model verbatim this run areas currently seeing sleet have seen the worst of the snow and are in for quite a sleet fest remainder of storm. For the first time this entire tracking and event I have serious concerns even up here in Bucks. We could struggle to hit 5" IF the hrrr is to be believed.

So I think we need to look at this differently than normal.  On radar returns it seems any time we see 35dbz+ it's sleet, but 30dbz we stay snow.  Usually we root for higher dbz for higher snow rates.  This storm it appears the higher returns just means there is sleet in there.

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

50/50 snow/sleet mix now. Latest hrrr weaker with storm which doesnt allow sleet/snow line to collapse S and E. Per that model verbatim this run areas currently seeing sleet have seen the worst of the snow and are in for quite a sleet fest remainder of storm. For the first time this entire tracking and event I have serious concerns even up here in Bucks. We could struggle to hit 5" IF the hrrr is to be believed.

Yet, starting from 3am it says we'll get 21" of "something".  LOL

So I think we need to look at this differently than normal.  On radar returns it seems any time we see 35dbz+ it's sleet, but 30dbz we stay snow.  Usually we root for higher dbz for higher snow rates.  This storm it appears the higher returns just means there is sleet in there.

Yet, starting from 3am it says we'll get 21" of "something".  LOL

LOL!

At least we can laugh about it. If the hrrr is right then the NAM claims victory and actually led the way. I will admit defeat if that happens but we'll see what happens as the storm progresses. Just took a peek at latest NAM against my own rule of thumb and its a total disaster. Sleet storm would make the great Valentines sleet fest look like child's play. Oh man.

6 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

what a disaster. gfs and euro both epically failed. new hrrr pretty much is the dagger here. unreal,18 to 24" forecasted this morning and it's looking like we ll be lucky to see 6". even named rgem and 12k nam had more snow than that. just unbelievable. 

Where are you located 

6 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

what a disaster. gfs and euro both epically failed. new hrrr pretty much is the dagger here. unreal,18 to 24" forecasted this morning and it's looking like we ll be lucky to see 6". even named rgem and 12k nam had more snow than that. just unbelievable. 

Let the storm play out.If you are still all sleet in an hour or so....ride your bike off a cliff.

2 minutes ago, PennQuakerGirl said:

Isn't it a little early to be calling things off? Or am I just blinded by the ecstasy of having a snow day here at Penn?

all mesoscale models have it staying as sleet...so no. they've been right this whole storm so far, don't see why it will suddenly change. 

Yep, I was very hopeful all along but the proof is in the sleet line which was the wild card all along. Even York to the Lehigh Valley are in question now on latest short range guidance. People are going to be PISSED when they dont see those enormous totals that were forecast. I should have stuck to my original call of 7-14" here but even that may have been generous. We'll see what happens but radar looks like a pump of warmth coming from the S/SE.

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Yep, I was very hopeful all along but the proof is in the sleet line which was the wild card all along. Even York to the Lehigh Valley are in question now on latest short range guidance. People are going to be PISSED when they dont see those enormous totals that were forecast. I should have stuck to my original call of 7-14" here but even that may have been generous. We'll see what happens but radar looks like a pump of warmth coming from the S/SE.

yup there will definitely be outrage at this. entire state of nj is closed tomorrow and right now it's looking like roads will just mostly be wet in the morning. not to mention all other businesses that closes ahead of time. this one may go down as worse than March 01 at least that one had signs of being a bust. forecasters did a very very poor job of mentioning this being a possibility. everyone pretty much threw out these sky high totals and said we may mix for a hour. already been a hour mixing here and no signs of letting up. just a very very poor forecast. this will be a case study of years to come. also another example of a March snowstorm failing expectations. There's a reason most of Se pa has never seen over a foot in March. 

Archived