Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th Storm Thread (Storm Mode)

psuhoffman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Ltrain said:

V-day 2007, was that storm icy? My mind is blank on that one. 

In my area is was the biggest sleet storm I've ever seen. And it froze solid into a glacier that lasted weeks. Analogs like CIPS should be used as guidance in regards to the evolution of storms and not just the verbatim output. Vday 2007 was close to a really big snow event. It was still really cool on its own merits. It was hours of sandblasting that piled up. Very rare stuff. 

14 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

So at this point, do we want more northern stream interaction?

Who the heck knows anymore. This has evolved so much in the last couple of days it's hard to pin down. I like where we stand now though with a stronger shortwave with even the possibility of it closing off the 500's within it that the Euro op shows. My biggest concern involving phases at this point is to see the initial phase in the deep south between the mid latitude and sub tropical streams. If we miss that we are probably sol. Think that is high probability at this point though. But this winter you never know.

Just now, Warm Nose said:

LOL at "sun angle" already

I didn't mean to start a riot, I'm just pointing out that I don't think we'll do better than 10:1 here, at least around DC.  Whatever does fall during the day will be subject to stronger sun and won't accumulate as efficiently.  If it's all done or if the vast majority is over by daybreak then it's a moot point.  

1 minute ago, DCTeacherman said:

I didn't mean to start a riot, I'm just pointing out that I don't think we'll do better than 10:1 here, at least around DC.  Whatever does fall during the day will be subject to stronger sun and won't accumulate as efficiently.  If it's all done or if the vast majority is over by daybreak then it's a moot point.  

Your point is totally valid. This won't be a big fluff bomb. And even with cloud cover there is insolation this time of year. We did have a fluff bomb in March in 2014 but it was MUCH colder than this storm. 

No sense derailing a thread over this stuff either folks. 

3 minutes ago, ryanconway63 said:

why would you use the NAM for anything over 48 hours, its a great short range model, but past 48 hours almost useless....

Useless is a strong word. 

while it is outside of its range it still helps to create consensus. 

Another tool 

Nut

Before someone goes ape sh$t and yells at me for posting the hour 84 NAM I have a real question about this... 

On the NAM...  on TT it gives a scale for snow on the bottom right hand corner... what is that scale measuring... and has anyone seen pink depicted for snow before? 

It says mm/hr but 14 mm is about .55 inches of snow... doesnt seem right

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 3.54.12 PM.png

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Your point is totally valid. This won't be a big fluff bomb. And even with cloud cover there is insolation this time of year. We did have a fluff bomb in March in 2014 but it was MUCH colder than this storm. 

I'll move any more talk of it to banter but it doesn't bother me one bit if our ratios aren't great.  If we get anything close to what the Euro/EPS is advertising it's going to be an all out awesome event.

1 minute ago, PDIII said:

Before someone goes ape sh$t and yells at me for posting the hour 84 NAM I have a real question about this... 

On the NAM...  on TT it gives a scale for snow on the bottom right hand corner... what is that scale measuring... and has anyone seen pink depicted for snow before? 

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 3.54.12 PM.png

It's a radar reflectivity simulation, the scale is a measure of how heavily snow/sleet/zr/rain would be falling.

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Excellent points.  Even the folks well west of 95 that did well during Snowquester (03/06/13) saw their accumulation rate drop drastically after 8-9 am.  I would love a repeat of 03/17/14 IMBY, but as Bob said this storm has a warmer, 02/13/14 Miller A look to it aloft. Likely not a 'clean' system for us just east of 95, and that's even with tossing out the 18Z NAM.

6 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

Excellent points.  Even the folks well west of 95 that did well during Snowquester (03/06/13) saw their accumulation rate drop drastically after 8-9 am.  I would love a repeat of 03/17/14 IMBY, but as Bob said this storm has a warmer, 02/13/14 Miller A look to it aloft. Likely not a 'clean' system for us just east of 95, and that's even with tossing out the 18Z NAM.

I think a lot of us could be very happy with a 2-13-14 event with the knowledge that it is March and we might go drippy during the day.  It wasn't fully expected it would be that bad during the day in Feb 14.

Archived