• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/13- 3/14 Winter Storm Threat

Buddy1987

Felt the need to separate this event frpm the Sat Sun event. Mods, please ensure this newly created thread is acceptable. Potential for a big dog incoming for areas of the NC mountains/VA zones. Models honing in on a classic March MECS. Great agreement between the models, specifically the EURO where the ensembles have a pretty tight clustering. 12z model suites to be incoming shortly. The 5h pictured below on the 12z nam at 84 is a classic look for a monster low to barrel up the coast. 

USA_VRTHGTGRD_500mb_084.gif

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

This is the one Im interested in. Need a phase charleston or futher south. Not fired up about the Sunday deal. Anxiously awaiting the ukmet

CMC to my recollection is the one that started the party a couple days back. UKIE/EURO combo looks appetizing. Good hit with them. GFS is a little more strung out with the precip field, although I would venture to say that will look better over the next couple of cycles here. 

6 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

GFS aint gonna cut it for most.. too warm, the low in the ohio valley is too strong 

2m would disagree anyway. Even if its a heavy sleet sounding its def a win for march standards. 850s are good up my way just checked. You have that 1032 hp up in maine supplying a source of cold air damming, along with a rapidly bombing system, helping to reinforce the cold air aupply on the west side of the storm. Ive been through many of these storms when I lived in the northeast. It may not work for people south of I40 but id be pretty excited VA border north.

Just now, Buddy1987 said:

2m would disagree anyway. Even if its a heavy sleet sounding its def a win for march standards. 850s are good up my way just checked. You have that 1032 hp up in maine supplying a source of cold air damming, along with a rapidly bombing system, helping to reinforce the cold air aupply on the west side of the storm. Ive been through many of these storms when I lived in the northeast. It may not work for people south of I40 but id be pretty excited VA border north.

The problem is that Ohio Valley low which brings in a lot of warm air in the mid levels... It stays stronger on the GFS than the EURO or other globals.. 

Just now, wncsnow said:

The problem is that Ohio Valley low which brings in a lot of warm air in the mid levels... It stays stronger on the GFS than the EURO or other globals.. 

If im not mistaken, isnt that a bias of the GFS or no? Holding on to the primary too long? Guess I could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

My area in Danville va, shows our temperature right at 33 for most of the event... going by gfs

Yea I would agree. It looked like the 32 line was just to my south southeast. Obv if the rates are decent you should be ok at that point. Problem is with the OH valley low, will we cook upstairs? Idk 

Archived