Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/13- 3/14 Winter Storm Threat

Buddy1987

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, blueheels2 said:

My truck says 32 degrees coldest rain possible in North Raleigh.

Left the house a half hour back and it was pouring the sleet. Nice size pieces. Started driving south and lost the sleet totally by the time I reached NC-98. Car temp briefly fell to 31 but as you said then stayed at 32 all the way in.  

Here it is:

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC
536 AM EDT Tue Mar 14 2017

NCZ007>010-026-141230-
PERSON-GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-FRANKLIN-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF BUSHY FORK, CONCORD, ROXBORO, SURL,
OXFORD, BUTNER, CREEDMOOR, DABNEY, HENDERSON, NORLINA, WISE,
AFTON, WARRENTON, LAKE GASTON, PILOT, INGLESIDE, LOUISBURG,
AND FRANKLINTON
536 AM EDT Tue Mar 14 2017

...No icing expected early this morning...

Temperatures early this morning along the Virginia border are at
or slightly below freezing. With areas of rain occurring, one
would expect a thin glaze to develop on exposed surfaces. Reports
from Granville County shortly after 5 AM indicate that the tops
of cars and fences are just wet with no indication of a glaze
developing.

As temperatures hover near or slightly below freezing through 8
AM, it is possible that a thin glaze may develop on top of cars
or on the fence in a few spots. However, icy patches on bridges
and overpasses are not expected.

The cold rain will be tampering off later this morning, with a few
peeks of sunshine possible after 2 PM. Temperatures will remain
well below normal, reaching the upper 40s later today.

$$

Reading the MA forums this morning is about as entertaining as the SE forums were during our storm in January.   Not near as much snow as predicted up there and the warm nose is causing way more mixing and sleetthan expected.  A lot of those guys are not happy.   Someone should tell themwelcome to southern storms.  Ha ha 

1 hour ago, 27596WXNUT said:

Reading the MA forums this morning is about as entertaining as the SE forums were during our storm in January.   Not near as much snow as predicted up there and the warm nose is causing way more mixing and sleetthan expected.  A lot of those guys are not happy.   Someone should tell themwelcome to southern storms.  Ha ha 

im convinced the historic warm ssts are the culprit for our jan screwjob and theirs.  models just undersold the warm nose.

10 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Snow quester , part deux! Man, we bust hard a lot, but man, the DCA d NYC busts= epic! NYC was under blizzard warning for 16-24" last night, downgraded to WWA and getting about 1-3" of sleet! Ouch

wow that is an ouch, whewwww.

4 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Poor DCA area 

:D 

I know it's horrible and maybe it makes  me a bad person  to wish a screwjob on anyone  but man i love it when dc gets screwed. It's the next best thing to to actually getting a winter storm here. For any of the noobs, the reason being is years ago it was all one forum and it was absolutely intolerable for the few of us that didn't live inside the center of the weather universe.  Even after all these years,  i still have that chip on my shoulder having to watch every model discussion and every trend being centered around what it means for dc.... along with how the actual posters there acted toward everyone else. 

of course, if someone sees or hears me cheering (or complaining) about dc...they sure look at me like i'm a nut...so i have to watch myself around anyone :lol: 

26 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Snow quester , part deux! Man, we bust hard a lot, but man, the DCA d NYC busts= epic! NYC was under blizzard warning for 16-24" last night, downgraded to WWA and getting about 1-3" of sleet! Ouch

Yeah that is about as bad as it gets. I feel for the nws...i'm sure they hate it worse than anyone and are going to catch hell for it. It really is wise to always...and i mean always...count on the warm nose being further north and stouter than predicted. 

i never had ill will toward nyc or new  england like i do dc/the mid atlantic so i have to feel a little bad for them...although it's hard to feel too bad for them considering how much snow/big storms they normally get. 

2 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

Looks like Chris made the right call. They got to Mt Pocono at 2am. 12"+ and lots more on the way. He will post pics soon.

Yeah just talked to him and he's getting hammered right now with that death band of 35+ dbz returns and it's all snow. Said it will prob meet the blizzard warning criteria next few hours. He sent me a few pics but I'll let him have the honor of posting them! 

37 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

I think some were counting on the NE jog the GFS showed late. Chris and I talked about it late last night and figured it was not going to happen.

Can't blame them, we would be doing the same thing. One thing for sure, you don't want to be on a modeled transition line right as the storm is coming in. At least not this year.

1 minute ago, FallsLake said:

Can't blame them, we would be doing the same thing. One thing for sure, you don't want to be on a modeled transition line right as the storm is coming in. At least not this year.

Feast or famine for sure.  What a bad position for the mets to be in on this one.  They couldn't win unless h forecast was perfect down to 30-50 miles. 

52 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

Yeah just talked to him and he's getting hammered right now with that death band of 35+ dbz returns and it's all snow. Said it will prob meet the blizzard warning criteria next few hours. He sent me a few pics but I'll let him have the honor of posting them! 

Yeah , the pics are crazy. Hate I had to miss this one. Tugg Hill next year.

30 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

He was in the thick of it trying to make Mt Pocono. The jog would have meant he could stop and ride it out where he was ATT. Just didn't look legit so he punched through. Last 60 miles took 2 hrs

Nope, I wouldn't even know how to measure this man, we did flip to IP for about an hour at the height of it, back to fatties but the wind and rates have dropped off.  Eating lunch and then going for a Jeb walk.  There was a couple hour period where we pushed near whiteout , I will see if Ted can post some picks/video.  

It it took us 2.5hrs to get the last 60 miles here, the last 20 or so miles once we got off the PA turnpike were straight hairy, could not see the road and twisting and turning, I had to at times take it mailbox by mailbox.

Just now, WeatherNC said:

Nope, I wouldn't even know how to measure this man, we did flip to IP for about an hour at the height of it, back to fatties but the wind and rates have dropped off.  Eating lunch and then going for a Jeb walk.  There was a couple hour period where we pushed near whiteout , I will see if Ted can post some picks/video.  

It it took us 2.5hrs to get the last 60 miles here, the last 20 or so miles once we got off the PA turnpike were straight hairy, could not see the road and twisting and turning, I had to at times take it mailbox by mailbox.

Send them. I will.

Archived