Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/13- 3/14 Winter Storm Threat

Buddy1987

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tarheelwx said:

Sounds like it bombed starting off Savannah.  Anyone with details and how it might impact our forum?  Does it bomb early enough to pull in some cold air?

TW

I did see where its a 991 monster as its off or ORH (Norfolk). The Euro depiction is def good for western areas of the area. If its able to phase early and parallel the coast this could be a good one!

Euro 850 mb temperature trend at 96...

ecmwf_T850_eus_fh96_trend.thumb.gif.0f611ed59777f8ff4ff6f8b72daab26b.gif

Though the LP is stronger and further NNW, the cold air pushes further southeast this run. The cause of this was because the inland/primary low was way weaker this time through, though it's still there-- the strength of this will be the deciding factor with regard to temps with this system, and currently the trend seems to be favorable. This is VERY close to something good for RDU west IMO, though we'd probably need to see the low shift just a tad back SE.

1 minute ago, NCSNOW said:

This is why you root for this scenerio. I might whiff, but a 10 to 30 minute drive west and I can just pull over and enjoy

This looks really good, this is what you typically draw up for big coastals that wipe the east coast.  Would love to see the h5 vort maps at this hour.  If the surface was low just a tad east....would probably help you a ton.

500h_anom.conus.png

With the Ukie and Euro in lock step inside 5 days its not a if its gonna happen but excatly where its gonna happen deal now. Will be fun o watch the excat pinpoint location of cyclo genesis and these 50 mile wobbles in addition to even just a millibar or 2 drop or addition in forecasted pressure that will mean the difference between cold rain and 20 to 30 mile drive with 6+ inches on the ground. Ive seen this several times and come up on both ends of the stick. Never forget the December 2009 event where I would occasionally see slush mixing with rain and drove 9 miles to my NW and the ground was 4 inches of snow and mixing back and forth. 

At 72 hrs on the Euro ... There's the energy back over LA that is the key.  This need to keep together.  The more this trends stronger, the faster the polar energy will phase in and weaken its primary low over the plains, and bomb out the gulf low.

5N8ls9D.png

10 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

With the Ukie and Euro in lock step inside 5 days its not a if its gonna happen but excatly where its gonna happen deal now. Will be fun o watch the excat pinpoint location of cyclo genesis and these 50 mile wobbles in addition to even just a millibar or 2 drop or addition in forecasted pressure that will mean the difference between cold rain and 20 to 30 mile drive with 6+ inches on the ground. Ive seen this several times and come up on both ends of the stick. Never forget the December 2009 event where I would occasionally see slush mixing with rain and drove 9 miles to my NW and the ground was 4 inches of snow and mixing back and forth. 

Agree...Euro/EPS look to be locked in from the freebie maps.  The UK is like the GFS in that it doesn't have much of anything for the southern energy that Wow pointed out on the Euro.  I hope the Euro is right but just slides a hair east and bombs out a little further south....#wishcastingFTL

There is a damming high at 72-84 hours...just depends on how fast the OH/TN-valley low.

QQ_GZ_UU_VV_072_0500.gif

Archived