Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

2 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

4.5" as of 5 am, after a nice shovel. Sleet line looks like it's approaching the Raritan - if that's true and if the cold air from dynamics as the storm strengthens doesn't push that sleet line back soon, this will be a pretty big bust.  Still hoping, but very worried.  

You aren't the only one. Approaching 3 inches in Queens but it's snowing lightly even though radar presentation indicates heavy. Moreover I know parts of LI and they're already mixing. Let's see what happens with those Dynamics

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nyblizz44 said:

You aren't the only one. Approaching 3 inches in Queens but it's snowing lightly even though radar presentation indicates heavy. Moreover I know parts of LI and they're already mixing. Let's see what happens with those Dynamics

Snow has lightened here too in the last 10 mins as that push gets real close haven't heard a ping yet and again if you look at the dual pol it seems to have sunk past couple of frames

29 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

4.5" as of 5 am, after a nice shovel. Sleet line looks like it's approaching the Raritan - if that's true and if the cold air from dynamics as the storm strengthens doesn't push that sleet line back soon, this will be a pretty big bust.  Still hoping, but very worried.  

5.0" as of 5:30 am.  Still all snow, but that sleet line looks like it's only 5-6 miles south of me at the Raritan.  

Good AFD update by Upton...would be nice if Mt. Holly updated...

National Weather Service New York NY
531 AM EDT Tue Mar 14 2017

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
*** Heavy snow for the morning commute - Dangerous Driving
 Conditions with snow fall rates of 2-4 inches an hour likely***

*** Blizzard Conditions with 1-2 feet of snow across mainly
 interior portions of the Tri-State and 8-16 inches of snow and
 sleet across NYC/NW Long Island and Coastal SW CT ***

*** Near Blizzard Conditions with 4-12 inches of snow and sleet
 mainly this morning over coastal SE CT, the South Shore/Twin
 Forks of Long Island ***

Storm track continues to slide westward. As a result expect SE
portions of the area to mix with sleet and rain this morning and
possibly to all rain this afternoon. Sleet now expected to mix
in with snow over NYC/NW Long Island/SW CT and possibly lower
West Chester County reducing snow totals there. Still have the
potential for 2 feet of snow over the NE 1/4 of the CWA.

Strong Gusty winds remain a threat - with gusts of 40-50mph
expected CWA wide, with isolated gusts of 55 to 60 mph possible
over mainly coastal areas. The strongest gusts should be from
13-17z.

Precipitation changes to all snow before ending this evening.
It should be dry overnight, except for maybe some snow showers
moving in late tonight in far W Orange County.

Comments on models - NAM appears a western outlier, forecast
based on a GFS/SREF/WRF-NMM/WRF-ARW blend. 00Z ECMWF falls in
well with this cluster.

Concerns with forecast - with westward shift in track -
increasing potential for dry air to work in aloft - so
precipitation could end sooner than expected with a period of
freezing drizzle possible late this afternoon/evening. If this
occurs, then snow fall totals, especially over the NW 1/2 of the
CWA could need to be reduced by 6" or so. If NAM ends up being
correct, then even larger reductions would be needed over most
of the CWA. While banding appears most likely to the NW of NYC -
still not fully confident in location/orientation. As a result,
locally higher amounts are possible over portions of the lower
Hudson Valley and interior NE NJ/SW CT.

I'm far away for this one but I'm rooting hard for you guys.  Unfortunately at this point I think sleet will make it well up into NNJ and the lower HV.  But if you can keep the rain away, a sleet blizzard could be pretty fun.  A change back over to snow towards the end would ease the disappointment somewhat.  And it will create an impressively bulletproof pack for March.  The guys in C&NE PA, as well as the southern tier of NY into the Catskills haven't had any big snowstorms in the past decade.  As much as I'm disappointed for this region, I'm happy for the interior guys who've been playing for scraps for so long.

Models typically underestimate mid level warmth. This is extremely unfortunate for this area as even my original 8 to 14 across CNJ looks like it is in major jeopardy. Still will hold to the 12 to 18 across NNJ/Seny and definitely NEPA. Also those areas should have jackpots locally of more. Now I believe that the 78 corridor will be the cutoff for significant sleet impacts on totals.

Dynamic cooling is one thing but when you're messing with mid levels like we are dealing with it rarely turns out well for this area.

1 hour ago, JetsPens87 said:

Models typically underestimate mid level warmth. This is extremely unfortunate for this area as even my original 8 to 14 across CNJ looks like it is in major jeopardy. Still will hold to the 12 to 18 across NNJ/Seny and definitely NEPA. Also those areas should have jackpots locally of more. Now I believe that the 78 corridor will be the cutoff for significant sleet impacts on totals.

Dynamic cooling is one thing but when you're messing with mid levels like we are dealing with it rarely turns out well for this area.

What causes these midlevels and why are they not present in some storms?

12 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

What causes these midlevels and why are they not present in some storms?

They are present in every system however specifically in this one the models were hinting for awhile now that a warm layer would sneak in around 800mb. This was supported by the forecast track of the low at 700mb. Systems are much more than a surface output, there are many vertical layers working together and the mid levels of the atmosphere have screamed to me for days that this would favor the interior.

Weather starts in the mid levels of the atmosphere and it is easy to get enamored with the pretty colors on a snow map, often forgetting what else is going on in the atmosphere. As I said, for the coastal plain when looking at the tracks of all the different vertical lows, in addition to the tucked in track of the surface low was a major red flag for the snow accumulations some guidance was printing out on the snow maps.

Just now, JetsPens87 said:

They are present in every system however specifically in this one the models were hinting for awhile now that a warm layer would sneak in around 800mb. This was supported by the forecast track of the low at 700mb. Systems are much more than a surface output, there are many vertical layers working together and the mid levels of the atmosphere have screamed to me for days that this would favor the interior.

Weather starts in the mid levels of the atmosphere and it is often over looked by hobbyists enamored with the pretty colors on a snow map, often forgetting what else is going on in the atmosphere. As I said, for the coastal plain when looking at the tracks of all the different vertical lows, in addition to the tucked in track of the surface low was a major red flag for the snow accumulations some guidance was printing out on the snow maps.

Well historically, what you talked about also jives with the typical storms I've seen in March over a lifetime.....usually sleet mixes or wet snow. They just seem to be the thing and especially in years where we don't have much blocking, we tend to get sleet fests when the interior gets snow. Some examples are Feb 07, March 07, March 94, and March 93. 

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Well historically, what you talked about also jives with the typical storms I've seen in March over a lifetime.....usually sleet mixes or wet snow. They just seem to be the thing and especially in years where we don't have much blocking, we tend to get sleet fests when the interior gets snow. Some examples are Feb 07, March 07, March 94, and March 93. 

Exactly, 

This goes back to the climo argument. While climo does not affect any individual event specifically but rather means over a longer time period, it is certainly applicable in my opinion to make the argument "well climo suggests"...

Trust me when I say I factored in what climo would suggest when I arrived at my forecast of a NNJ/HV jackpot despite models at that time playing with an I95 historic storm.

7 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

Exactly, 

This goes back to the climo argument. While climo does not affect any individual event specifically but rather means over a longer time period, it is certainly applicable in my opinion to make the argument "well climo suggests"...

Trust me when I say I factored in what climo would suggest when I arrived at my forecast of a NNJ/HV jackpot despite models at that time playing with an I95 historic storm.

Its funny how a couple days ago we were worried about whether we'd phase and get slammed or get a fast moving moderate snow event with a low well offshore. And it unfolded very differently. 

3 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

Exactly, 

I know very little about meteorology but I know some things and people tend to ask me what's going on with it, because I read you folks in here. This makes me sound knowledgeable to other people. I have a good memory for bits of info making me sound way more informed than I am; my doctors call me the professor. But because I have this weird knack for remembering weather events ( and other things like which years had better flounder fishing ) I knew from years experience this is how March winter storms tend to pan out for us; even when they stay snow, it may be a wet snow and 5-6 inches will fall and be down to 3-4 by the end of the day. So when you made your forecast I immediately thought it would probably be correct. It's why for the most part I don't worry much about hurricanes. They happen here, but in my lifetime of 54 years there has been one that affected me like Sandy. Smaller ones like Floyd caused severe flooding for those who lived in flood plains, like Bound Brook, but that was it.

3 hours ago, JetsPens87 said:

Weather starts in the mid levels of the atmosphere and it is easy to get enamored with the pretty colors on a snow map, often forgetting what else is going on in the atmosphere. As I said, for the coastal plain when looking at the tracks of all the different vertical lows, in addition to the tucked in track of the surface low was a major red flag for the snow accumulations some guidance was printing out on the snow maps.

Thanks for this post, I shared it over in the Philadelphia forum.  Your posts and replys are simple and informative. 

Thanks 

Archived