Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, real said:

Folks in the Mid-Atlantic thread complaining HRRR was way off down there tonight, as one put it, "massive failure."" Doesn't that bode ill for our hopes that NYC and elsewhere hold off on mixing till late?

Mix line looks to be at or near TTN running due E on 195

Hope you are right... The disco appeared to zero in just north of the city from Westchester north. Unclear if they  intentionally did that to avoid city thinking it will mix, and city is also south/east of the I-95 line referenced.. Whatever the case, moderate if not heavy snow now here in Harlem. It's drifting so hard to measure, some spots on sidewalks bare while others building up drifts.  I would guess 2 to 3 inches so far, and plows are now out. I think the city starts plowing when 3 inches accumulates.

5 minutes ago, real said:

Hope you are right... The disco appeared to zero in just north of the city from Westchester north. Unclear if they  intentionally did that to avoid city thinking it will mix, and city is also south/east of the I-95 line referenced.. Whatever the case, moderate if not heavy snow now here in Harlem. It's drifting so hard to measure, some spots on sidewalks bare while others building up drifts.  I would guess 2 to 3 inches so far, and plows are now out. I think the city starts plowing when 3 inches accumulates.

As cyclogenesis continues to occur, observations/short-term guidance
   are suggestive that the surface wet-bulb zero line will continue to
   slowly transition northward across parts of DE/NJ toward the NYC
   metro. This is suggestive of a more transitional/mixed precipitation
   type along the I-95 corridor. A longer duration of
   heavy-snow-optimal profiles, attributable to increasing lift
   coincident with a deep/saturated dendritic layer, are expected just
   west/northwest of the I-95 corridor from northern parts of VA and MD
   into south-central/eastern PA, northern NJ, much of southern NY, and
   eventually nearby CT/MA through 12-15Z.

Just now, Rjay said:

As cyclogenesis continues to occur, observations/short-term guidance
   are suggestive that the surface wet-bulb zero line will continue to
   slowly transition northward across parts of DE/NJ toward the NYC
   metro. This is suggestive of a more transitional/mixed precipitation
   type along the I-95 corridor. A longer duration of
   heavy-snow-optimal profiles, attributable to increasing lift
   coincident with a deep/saturated dendritic layer, are expected just
   west/northwest of the I-95 corridor from northern parts of VA and MD
   into south-central/eastern PA, northern NJ, much of southern NY, and
   eventually nearby CT/MA through 12-15Z.

Are they implying the city mixes by sunrise-8am? If so, we won't even see 6".

3 minutes ago, NortheastPAWx said:

Are they implying the city mixes by sunrise-8am? If so, we won't even see 6".

Starting to think that is distinct possibility, but guess we have to wait and see. Wondering if Bucks County Pa outside of Philadelphia is snow or sleet. They were also under a Blizzard Warning for 12 to 16 inches with dire language issued yesterday about traveling there during the morning rush. But they are also west of 95. If the sleet already stretches that far west in Bucks, don't really see how the city avoids it, short of incredible dynamics  -- that are still possible but we could come up short this time..

mcd0292.gif

take a good hard look at the image

you see the outer ring?......Well ???     good then

If you really love snow and your down about your risk of changeover

take a walk outside...you will feel a whole lot better!!!

It's the Middle of March gosh dang it

That's comforting.. Not sure i buy it either, but you are right. If they were going to backtrack, now would be time to do it, before everyone wakes up.  So good to see...  

EDIT -- Upton's reissued blizzard warnings call for 8 to 16 inches of "snow and sleet" in the Metro area and 1 to 2 feet north and west.  . http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NYZ176&warncounty=NYC081&firewxzone=NYZ176&local_place1=Sunnyside NY&product1=Blizzard+Warning&lat=40.7441&lon=-73.9207#.WMesa2OfeCQ

9 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

NWS going all in with it remaining snow from I-95/NJ TPK N and W obviously, all the way from Trenton to NYC.  Not sure I'm buying it, but these guys should know more about this than I do.  

No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available..  

HMMM that gives me a pause that map has a huge bust potential guess they think the dynamics will overcome the warm layers  I was feeling much better a couple hours ago  This is what its about though  Good to see nws stick to their guns

1 hour ago, real said:

Folks in the Mid-Atlantic thread complaining HRRR was way off down there tonight, as one put it, "massive failure."" Doesn't that bode ill for our hopes that NYC and elsewhere hold off on mixing till late?

I'm down here 30 min northwest of Baltimore with a 500 foot elevation. Been sleeting here hard since about 1am... everyone here is getting sleet. probably had 3 inches of snow before the switch. Philly switched to sleet now also and I know it's a major bust down here.. hopefully it stays all snow for you guys but just a warning that we weren't supposed to switch that early down here. I'll go back to my forum now. Good luck fellas

35 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

NWS going all in with it remaining snow from I-95/NJ TPK N and W obviously, all the way from Trenton to NYC.  Not sure I'm buying it, but these guys should know more about this than I do.  

No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available..  

They are probably wrong. No way from just looking outside, if the sleet is getting to TTN already, is this storm going to be anything close to that for us. 

23 minutes ago, Kleimax said:

I'm down here 30 min northwest of Baltimore with a 500 foot elevation. Been sleeting here hard since about 1am... everyone here is getting sleet. probably had 3 inches of snow before the switch. Philly switched to sleet now also and I know it's a major bust down here.. hopefully it stays all snow for you guys but just a warning that we weren't supposed to switch that early down here. I'll go back to my forum now. Good luck fellas

Thanks. My instincts were that we'd get to maybe 6 just southeast of NYC, maybe less. It has been snowing since 11 pm or a little later and we have just a normal snow here. I've seen my share of double digit storms and there should be a lot more on the ground if that were going to happen....we've got 2-3....so unless it doesn't sleet, this will be nothing special. 

Archived