Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Dover DE radar looks amazing. This is what the coast has to cash in overnight and bring dynamics in to keep the mix line out as long as possible. There could be some nice totals quickly if the snow shield stays the way it is now. 

Unless, of course, the low is actually forming - and possibly tracks - East of where the models had it.  In two threads, however, I don't see any discussion on what is actually happening; only a discussion of the models still running.  And I'm not smart enough in meteorology to determine what is actually going on.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely a nice wall of heavy snow developing over S NJ and Philly. A good sign that at least the NAM will be wrong. If it really comes down until 8am (12z when models suggest the coast should start changing over), there could be some significant totals. At this point if I make it to 8" I'll be happy. Central Park I could still see making it to 15" if things break right. 

2 minutes ago, NYCGreg said:

Unless, of course, the low is actually forming - and possibly tracks - East of where the models had it.  In two threads, however, I don't see any discussion on what is actually happening; only a discussion of the models still running.  And I'm not smart enough in meteorology to determine what is actually going on.

The pressure falls chart I last saw suggests the low heading off the NC coast, but that would be well east of any modeling. If it heads to the Tidewater instead that would be a good sign and more reasonable given the 500mb charts and vorticity/divergence aloft. 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Definitely a nice wall of heavy snow developing over S NJ and Philly. A good sign that at least the NAM will be wrong. If it really comes down until 8am (12z when models suggest the coast should start changing over), there could be some significant totals. At this point if I make it to 8" I'll be happy. Central Park I could still see making it to 15" if things break right. 

The raadr beyond exploded in the last hour, NJ had maybe 40% coverage light to moderate presentation and it looks to be over 80% and all heavy snow. If it comes on like a wall things could get very interesting very fast.

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

The pressure falls chart I last saw suggests the low heading off the NC coast, but that would be well east of any modeling. If it heads to the Tidewater instead that would be a good sign and more reasonable given the 500mb charts and vorticity/divergence aloft. 

The flow is almost directly out of the South. This isn't kicking East at the last second. Most of LI is going to have to rely on the next 8 hours for snow.

Just now, jm1220 said:

The UNISYS pressure change map isn't always the best tool.  It tends to over-exaggerate pressure changes in various directions.  I would recommend the following link to analyze the surface conditions.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=17&parm=pmsl&underlay=1&source=1

2 minutes ago, nyblizz44 said:

The raadr beyond exploded in the last hour, NJ had maybe 40% coverage light to moderate presentation and it looks to be over 80% and all heavy snow. If it comes on like a wall things could get very interesting very fast.

All the models ramp up the totals between 6 and 12z before any mixing

Like I've said with the 500 mb pattern, I believe this is coming east. Between that and dynamics, I believe surprises are in store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:

Like I've said with the 500 mb pattern, I believe this is coming east. Between that and dynamics, I believe surprises are in store.

I'm with you, 12", a dollar, and a dream...

The HRRR staying colder at this stage makes me think it might be onto something. 

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Exactly what I'm thinking. And the real time trends so far are positve. If we can snow at 1"+ till 8am right at the coast we see double digets. I still think i make a run at 20 here on 120th and broadway. I'm almost as far north and west as you can get in the city. I have seen several instances here were we stayed snow while the airports changed over 

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:

I'm guessing the seas will be brutal out there and we may even see impressive waves in the bays and sounds....any idea of what kind of high tides we'll be looking at?

Just now, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Exactly what I'm thinking. And the real time trends so far are positve. If we can snow at 1"+ till 8am right at the coast we see double digets. I still think i make a run at 20 here on 120th and broadway. I'm almost as far north and west as you can get in the city. I have seen several instances here were we stayed snow while the airports changed over 

Incredible how much flux and uncertainty there is in the modeling when the event is starting. Hope you do well up there, and back home in Wantagh for both of us. :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I'm with you, 12", a dollar, and a dream...

The HRRR staying colder at this stage makes me think it might be onto something. 

Yeah, it's been consistent.  Tomorrow is the true test for me.  If it nails it,  I think the model deserves more credit, especially inside 12 hours.

8 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I'm guessing the seas will be brutal out there and we may even see impressive waves in the bays and sounds....any idea of what kind of high tides we'll be looking at?

15-20' on the ocean, 5-9' on the sound. Tides 3-4' above normal with some locations higher depending on timing and wind direction.

Archived