Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Paragon said:

tis true- forgot about that- and yet the amount of snowfall was very similar (21-22 inches)

Yep.  Mixing isn't the kiss of death folks make it out to be.  Ideally you're juuuuuuust on the other side of the line of the mixing but the highest totals in NYC in 1996 were on Staten Island, which generally saw some mixing.  The increased rates before and after the mixing made up for the precip lost as sleet.

1 minute ago, Drz1111 said:

Yep.  Mixing isn't the kiss of death folks make it out to be.  Ideally you're juuuuuuust on the other side of the line of the mixing but the highest totals in NYC in 1996 were on Staten Island, which generally saw some mixing.  The increased rates before and after the mixing made up for the precip lost as sleet.

I don't even remember the mixing in that storm it was so epic who cared? And I am a stone's throw from SI. But there is mixing like Feb and March 07 storms too, but that was always progged from day one for us in those storms, which we hoped would be wrong....here I'm kinda scratching my head wondering just what to expect, and I do appreciate the analysis here. 

4 minutes ago, Manny said:

Any analysis on the RGEM? Looked much better than NAM thermals, but still a mix. 

Those are some crazy 700vv being spit out but unfortunately my experience tells me models often underestimate mid level warmth. With that said, I don't see how anyone in the NY metro/Long Island/Cnj and possibly now even the 78 corridor don't changeover for a period with a low that tucked into the coast.

Edit: Let me add to that that I believe while initially the mix line may be more uniform and approach from the SE, as time goes on it will become much less uniform and areas to your north could sleet while you snow depending on how much the VV and dynamic cooling can overcome the entrenched warm layer at that point.

6 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

reminds me of Feb 1961- look up that storm- NYC saw 15 inches but JFK saw 24.1 inches even with several hours of sleet and rain in the middle of the storm- LE 2.7"

3 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

Those are some crazy 700vv being spit out but unfortunately my experience tells me models often underestimate mid level warmth. With that said, I don't see how anyone in the NY metro/Long Island/Cnj and possibly now even the 78 corridor don't changeover for a period with a low that tucked into the coast.

THIS^

Just now, weatherlogix said:

THIS^

you arw greatly underestimating the affects of dynamic cooling, a surface wind that stays north of east, and storms that have impacted us like this in the past with high pressure in a similar area.  I think 90% of this subforum sees 90% snow.  mixing around mastic/mt sinai east on the island.  sleet at the peak into nyc.  no plain rain west of port jeff or north of ocean county nj imo.  the "sensible weather" for this storm will be brutal everywhere.

Just now, USCG RS said:

With those vv s, anything that's heavy is going to be frozen. Period.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I agree. This is even better for us, as less precip will be lost to sleet. The TT maps illustrate your point perfectly: as soon as precip lightens up, the changeover occurs.

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_7.png

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_8.png

3 minutes ago, e46and2 said:

you arw greatly underestimating the affects of dynamic cooling, a surface wind that stays north of east, and storms that have impacted us like this in the past with high pressure in a similar area.  I think 90% of this subforum sees 90% snow.  mixing around mastic/mt sinai east on the island.  sleet at the peak into nyc.  no plain rain west of port jeff or north of ocean county nj imo.  the "sensible weather" for this storm will be brutal everywhere.

I have taken into account the effects of dynamic cooling trust me. But surface winds out of the NE will do little to help the midlevels. I have little doubt in a a changeover/mixing in the areas above though I do agree that it will not be as "bridge jumping" worthy as some are making it out to be.

5 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

I have taken into account the effects of dynamic cooling trust me. But surface winds out of the NE will do little to help the midlevels. I have little doubt in a a changeover/mixing in the areas above though I do agree that it will not be as "bridge jumping" worthy as some are making it out to be.

How far N/W do you think significant mixing/changeover get? (talking losing more than 2-3" of accum to sleet/etc.)

Archived