Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a hard time believing, considering the speed of the system and the quick warming of the mid levels that areas from NYC east see anywhere near 12"-18" of snow. Ratios are going to meh, even when it's pouring snow. Historically, mid levels always warm faster than models let on, especially on western LI. 

Now from Central Bergen County on west....look out.

to me this has January 1987 written all over it....races up the coast, huge front end dump is done in about 7-9 hours and ends as drizzle or sleet.

I think this will have a longer front end dump than that storm though, at least for the city. Probably 10-12 hours, if there's even a changeover there at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Neblizzard said:

GFS is a crippling snowstorm, cold thruout the metro , no mixing issues.

IMG_5100.JPG

I'm rooting for you goofus. My username says it all! This is gonna come down the wire, globals kill the whole area, mesoscales bring the low inland. I think that we split the difference. Mesoscales may be amping this storm up a bit too much while the gfs might be a tad to progressive. 

1 minute ago, weatherlogix said:

So I am just trying to figure out how this works; when the GFS shows a bad solution it's dismissed. Now that it shows the optimal solution it's the gospel?

The GFS was dismissed initially because it was an outlier.  UKMET, RGEM, CMC, etc. all were in close agreement while the GFS was alone.  Of course this has changed.

2 minutes ago, Blizzard-on-GFS said:

I'm rooting for you goofus. My username says it all! This is gonna come down the wire, globals kill the whole area, mesoscales bring the low inland. I think that we split the difference. Mesoscales may be amping this storm up a bit too much while the gfs might be a tad to progressive. 

Actually the ukie and Euro had less snow than the rgem I believe

2 minutes ago, winterwarlock said:

trying to figure that out too...why are posters using the GFS now...its the coldest and east most outlier still...seems like its still correcting...and its slower with the onset of precip...the other models seem to have early start and end times...just asking for consistency here because yesterday when I brought up the GFS I was told to discount it

The gfs was dismissed yesterday because it was so far away from other guidance. This gfs run is at least on par with what most guidance is showing currently

The GFS was dismissed initially because it was an outlier.  UKMET, RGEM, CMC, etc. all were in close agreement while the GFS was alone.  Of course this has changed.

The GFS is in line with the eps, the euro op (though a tick east) and the Ukmet (again a tick east). The rgem this year has had its issues. The cmc is in line with the gfs, etc, but it's the cmc. The nam took a step east this morning. If the Ukmet and euro back the gfs, you take it. I don't love the gfs. I rarely use it, in this type of scenario . But to see the nam trend East and the gfs to follow suit to fall in line with the euro and eps.. I give it some weight. Also it's normally the warmest and now it's the coldest, that's a huge red flag for warmer solutions imho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, RutgersWx92 said:

I think this will have a longer front end dump than that storm though, at least for the city. Probably 10-12 hours, if there's even a changeover there at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having just quickly looked at the h5 maps from Jan 87 and Feb 95, I think Feb 95 might be a better analogy. Thoughts?

What a tough forecast for coastal areas especially for NYC and western LI/coastal CT. GFS would be 12-18", NAM would be half that. Hopefully the colder models are winning out-GFS finally did correct west to the consensus. Importantly the mid level lows track on a good path for NYC, eastern LI still mixes toward the end.

Archived