joxey
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Please state your reasoning why. 

Looks like the storm will have dual lows. The warm seclusion development and convection offshore may push the low track more east towards it at the last minute, path of least resistance. Most likely a slight east movement. I think it's a general, broad brush 12-18 inch snowfall for the metro between early Tuesday morning and early Tuesday night....

Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

RGEM would bring mixing issues similar to 3knam... I highly doubt that verifies with a bombing low in that position. 

I'm not quite sure why we are using the meso scales at 36 h anyway tbh esp the nam. Rgem h5 is fantastic phases at a great spot. It's not only looking at surface maps. If the mesos are showing mixing tomorrow afternoon I'd worry stick with the globals for now

2 minutes ago, swamplover56 said:

I'm not quite sure why we are using the meso scales at 36 h anyway tbh esp the nam. Rgem h5 is fantastic phases at a great spot. It's not only looking at surface maps. If the mesos are showing mixing tomorrow afternoon I'd worry stick with the globals for now

I agree, I wouldn't start using the mesoscale models until tomorrow

3 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Yea the rgem track is suspect and on its own as well. Not the ideal run but still 10+ for all.

No way under those dynamics is anyone but the ocean flipping, we're talking about an absolute cranking bomb offshore, you would literally need the LP to track over islip to see Long Island flip imo

Just now, swamplover56 said:

Just seems some never look at h5 only the surface and then snow maps. Nam h5 has been getting better and better eventually that will translate down to the surface. 

That is such an important point.  People including me sometimes need to broaden out and look at the big picture instead of getting stuck on maps and surface details.  As long as the mid levels are prime, everything will sort out favorably. 

7 minutes ago, swamplover56 said:

+1

Agree. As long as your Nw of the coastal front you see all snow. I could see the coastal front wiggling into the island for a bit and giving a couple hours of mix.

but the dynamics are going to be insane! Probably our best shot at thundersnow in years. This late in the season there is going to be allot more convection then you would see in say january. That why I think we have a shot at some insane rates. Everyone take lots of video this is a storm your going to want to rewatch 

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

985 WELL west of the benchmark. And nobody north or west of NYC gets into the really pounding echoes... I'll believe that as much as I believe Long Island flips to rain.. b.s

Convective Feedback maybe?

GFS should have been a crusher area wide. Precipitation just doesn't expand as much.

Archived