Newest Member
    joxey
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, allgame830 said:

Also have a problem with that as well... a system this dynamic the only place that will mix or have a remote chance of rain is the twin forks....

I'm more concerned with the fast movement than qpf. Like I said it's not even 12 hours on the regular nam so heavy banding or not it's going to be difficult to see the big totals( not saying it's right just what this run shows)

5 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I'm more concerned with the fast movement than qpf. Like I said it's not even 12 hours on the regular nam so heavy banding or not it's going to be difficult to see the big totals( not saying it's right just what this run shows)

The faster movement will only be an issue if you are looking at widespread 20"+ totals otherwise we should easily see 12-18" even with a 10-12 hr storm given the potential for very high snow rates. 

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

That is also another thing I disagree with what the NAM is showing. Better interaction is resulting in a better phase which will slow down the evolution of the storm. I can see only a 12 hour storm... even in 12 hours though with heavy rates that still could put down 12-18"

No one and I mean NO ONE should be hyperventelating for any reason at this juncture. The vast majority of reputable modeling has swung strongly to a historic monster inbound. So we didnt get NAMed. Big deal. We are still not in its sweet spot which starts  at 0 Z. Breathe and enjoy what is likely to be a bueatiful ride. And dont let the trolls get you down, there are some in here that like to get you down

Sure, it could be in and out for the most part in 12 hours..but at an inch per hour, that's a foot of snow. Throw in a heavier band for a couple hours, and it's easy to see why the NWS went 12-18". I'm still hoping for 8-12" but would love if we got more than that. A blizzard watch in mid-March...couldn't ask for more!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 minutes ago, WintersGrasp said:

Sure, it could be in and out for the most part in 12 hours..but at an inch per hour, that's a foot of snow. Throw in a heavier band for a couple hours, and it's easy to see why the NWS went 12-18". I'm still hoping for 8-12" but would love if we got more than that. A blizzard watch in mid-March...couldn't ask for more!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would think this would actually make for a more dangerous storm with dreadful conditions for people stuck in it. 

47 minutes ago, F5TornadoF5 said:

Except Euro/Ukmet/Cmc showing more. Overall I liked this run as well. Upper levels were better. 

All the models have their biases. That is why a met factors each in to a forecast but doesn't ride on any particular one. While the Euro/UKMet/Cmc may show more, they could be showing more because they don't quite have the right track or because their assessment of the storm's velocity is off ... as opposed to a bias. It's one good reason to consider the ensembles where possible. We've all seen examples of where such large amounts were spit out by the models and they busted. Point is ... let's weight the models properly in the forecast (and in reality) and not take any one model verbatim. If they were all in solid agreement with QPF and track location (which will never happen), that would be one thing. But ...

Archived