Newest Member
    joxey
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Can't remember last time euro had this much of shift inside 3 days... have to see how eps handles... as of now euro is the eastern,weakest outlier... GFS/eps/Gefs/ggem/Nam... all strong and west of euro.. see how 18z unfolds 

Jan 2015 comes to mind.  That one shifted even closer to the storm.  About 36 hrs out or something like that.  Area I lived in went from like 2.5-3" qpf to about 0.5" on the euro.

1 minute ago, Manny said:

Let's see the EPS mean and ensembles, and see if this supported. 

Good call.

as of now the this one run does only one thing, increase my confidence that the coast is in for a big hit. Last night there was worry about an inland runner and the coast having major rain issues. 

We often see blips like this form run to run and this generally is the time Frame they tend to happen. 

The UKIE also has that little jog east on the detailed track. So maybe it's just a late phase?

78.phase1.thumb.png.61f070a2d95137c2107839f14e796e1d.png

Yes. It's a late phase. Like I said, the flow is screaming and the NAO is heading to significant positive territory. Everything comes down to a phase.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

So it went from a coastal hugger worry to an OTS worry. I'd give it another run before panicking but we are getting better sampling of data today. 

Ask yourself, what usually happens to potential March storms in this area? I was just telling a friend this morning, I would still bet against this storm severely impacting much of NJ based on history alone. 

13 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The ECMWF seems so different from its earlier runs and the EPS, it's difficult to have much confidence in this run.

It seems to me and correct me if I am wrong but the Euro always seems to do something weird like this around this time frame for our biggest storms after being so consistent. Is it possible that any new data that may have been ingested into it could have caused some kind of convective feedback this run?

4 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

It seems to me and correct me if I am wrong but the Euro always seems to do something weird like this around this time frame for our biggest storms after being so consistent. Is it possible that any new data that may have been ingested into it could have caused some kind of convective feedback this run?

I've seen such temporary shifts with a number of storms. The details are complex, so an occasional outlier isn't that surprising. The EPS and 18z GFS will provide insight. Continuity would be reassuring.

13 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

I've seen such temporary shifts with a number of storms. The details are complex, so an occasional outlier isn't that surprising. The EPS and 18z GFS will provide insight. Continuity would be reassuring.

Yeah I remember this a number of times as well, I am certainly not going to get nervous by this run alone. Now if the other models and the next Euro run including the ensembles start/continue showing what the Euro is now showing then it may be time to get nervous and start backing away from the MECS/HECS idea.

People, try to focus on the spread of the major global models, not just the Euro or GFS etc.

We do this sh*t every time.  Every time.

To me, it's not focusing on one run. It's showing, imo, how delicate this set up is. A late phase or screw up on one of the branches and we could lose this solution. The PNA is helping us, but the NAO and rather shallow blocking is not helping. This cold means business and the high pressure is very strong. Without a nearly perfect phase, we lose this storm. The euro shows that IMHO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

To me the Euro may have focused too much on a piece of convection well offshore and leaped the low east as a result. The phase also looked late/sloppy, so that may have been the reason. Anyway, it's reason to watch and see the 0z runs tonight and tomorrow's runs to nail down details. Every model can have hiccup runs. 

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

To me the Euro may have focused too much on a piece of convection well offshore and leaped the low east as a result. The phase also looked late/sloppy, so that may have been the reason. Anyway, it's reason to watch and see the 0z runs tonight and tomorrow's runs to nail down details. Every model can have hiccup runs. 

There were issues down south too. It was way drier over the Carolinas and MA.   That may have been a result of everything else but it was just overall less juiced in that area 

Archived