Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something not being discussed is the coastal flood threat. If it ends up like the GFS last night and it does hug the coast, winds will be onshore and really push the water in. The run last night had 60+ mph east winds at 15z Tue. I would think flooding would be moderate to locally major. The worst impacts seem to be timed for Tues AM's high tide. We're also close to the full moon. Another reason to hope for a further offshore track. 

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Exactly. That's the biggest take home it looks nothing like the other models. Yes it's been good this winter and I'll give it valifidty inside 48h.

as it stands right now a track right inside the benchmark looks like the best bet. I wouldn't want to be east of central Suffolk with that track. West of there a 1-2' snow looks greater then 75% likely now. Exact totals and coastal impacts are what we should focus on from here out 

The low placement isn't far off from the gfs. Just seems much warmer

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_14.png

4 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Exactly. That's the biggest take home it looks nothing like the other models. Yes it's been good this winter and I'll give it valifidty inside 48h.

as it stands right now a track right inside the benchmark looks like the best bet. I wouldn't want to be east of central Suffolk with that track. West of there a 1-2' snow looks greater then 75% likely now. Exact totals and coastal impacts are what we should focus on from here out 

The Twin Forks might have an issue if the Euro track verifies, but even there it printed out over 10". I think the track will end up inside the benchmark and maybe even over SE MA, but the tucked in nature of the low will pull cold air in. So as long as the low matures a good amount by our latitude it should be cold enough for snow. Part of the NAM and GFS's problem is how strung out/disorganized the low still is which allows warm air to make it in. 

1 minute ago, Heavy Wet Snow said:

Seems like a 10 hour thump and she's gone. Those 24 hour snow runs are gone. I think that hurts us for getting those outrageous amounts. Hard to get more than 10-15 in such a short time. Major east coast storm yes, historic, idk 

Makes sense.  Was actually thinking such a strong storm would product more QPF - unless it was faster moving.

Seems like a 10 hour thump and she's gone. Those 24 hour snow runs are gone. I think that hurts us for getting those outrageous amounts. Hard to get more than 10-15 in such a short time. Major east coast storm yes, historic, idk 

The 00z Euro was over 24hrs. GFS is steadily moving towards the Euro. There is blocking, Btw. Also, with the upper levels looking like that, qpf amounts are incorrect (low) and it will easily be sub 975, instead of 983.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Heavy Wet Snow said:

what you describe is still historic...it will be march 14th...

Archived