Newest Member
    joxey
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TriPol said:

Is that an early capture of the GoM energy? That's an interesting way to get a blizzard...

Some of the big ones had that.  We can get training moisture from the gulf which I dont know we are really picking up on that this time out.  

Winter weather expert on Weather channel keeps insisting we see a ton of rain down here due to the NE winds. Doubt it. We may see 'some' rain/sleet mix in at times but even if it does we should still be good for a solid 12-18 inches. I think they had Monmouth in the 6-12 inch band. No way!! Hahaha 1-2 feet region wide is a good call in my opinion.

1 minute ago, F5TornadoF5 said:

NAM looks like the western extreme of all the models. Still well out of its range. Onto GFS

NAM has been stellar .  If it showed this at 48-60 hours then i would be concerned somewhat.  72-78 hours is still out of its range.

Looking through the total QPF and accumulation maps on Pivotal for the 84 hour period reveals something interesting northwest of I-95 - loss of snow (0.5" LE) to freezing rain in the Tuesday morning hours (which doesn't really make a lot of sense, synoptically speaking).  Based on this, I'd push the model snowfall output higher.  But it's the NAM, so...

Total QPF:

qpf_acc.conus.png

Total Snow (10:1):

sn10_acc.conus.png

Total FZRA:

zr_acc.conus.png

25 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

omg it's the end of range nam and it looks nothing like every other model

Exactly. That's the biggest take home it looks nothing like the other models. Yes it's been good this winter and I'll give it valifidty inside 48h.

as it stands right now a track right inside the benchmark looks like the best bet. I wouldn't want to be east of central Suffolk with that track. West of there a 1-2' snow looks greater then 75% likely now. Exact totals and coastal impacts are what we should focus on from here out 

Archived