Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
John1122

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No accumulating snow here, but it did drop to 18 degrees this AM with a similar windchill of 5 degrees! Just brutal for mid march, and would even do January proud by this years standards! Looking at the Bradford pears that were blooming and some had even leafed out, they look like they're turning brown. I would expect them to take the worst hit in my area. There are a few flowering cherries that have tried to bloom, but mine are just in that stage right before they open up. Same way with my blueberries. Hopefully they will be ok. I know when it's this cold and the windchill is this low, that the wind can actually do as much or more damage to the buds than the temp itself. Guess we will have to wait and see.

I have been to Carvers Gap many times...started going there w my parents to pick blueberries in the early 70s as a toddler.  I have only been on top(to the Gap...would never hike the balds in those conditions) a few times when it is like the above video.  It is crazy how bad the weather can get above 5,000' during winter.  And that video is not terrible wx by winter standards....BTW the drive up is not bad in the snow.  The ride back can leave you white knuckled.

Low of 21.6 this morning. Stayed below 32 degrees for 12 hours today (from midnight to noon) or 16:20 if you count from yesterday.

Stayed below 26 degrees for roughly 5:15 (from 5am to 10:15am).

Expecting worse tonight in to tomorrow. 8:20pm and at 31.0 already and falling fast. Winds calm to near calm from NW.

Temperatures the last three nights have plummeted to 17°, 18° and 23° (as of this post). Nearly every tree was budding after the record warmth prior to this current cold spell. I figure fruit and nut trees probably won't produce as much this year. I just hope we didn't lose a bunch of deciduous trees. Ours were already budded or leafing.

Huge temperature gradient between Morristown and Knoxville right now with the heavy rain. Currently Morristown is 41 and Knoxville is 60 degrees!!! It's actually 39 at my house About 8 miles NE of town. I'm sure it has to do with the heavy rain, but man, it's rare to see such a wide gradient over that small of an area!

Received pea to marble hail Tuesday evening around 7pm in East Brainerd. About 7:30 some 35 mph winds arrived with the second storm. Overall it was uninspiring. However I hear other areas did make hail great again. Cleveland got hail hammered also wind damage.

March temp rebound is impressive in spite of the cold snap. Probably reload on severe too.

• 2 weeks later...

Weather here has been beautiful if not a bit too dry.  Have done a bit of fishing.   Lightning ran us off the river one day.  It had been a bit windy and some sprinkles were in the air...no sign of lightning at all.  (I don't stay on the water during storms.) As the line of light rain moved parallel to the ridge line...bang!  The storm built right over us. We hustled the wooded, .25 mi trail back to the truck.  Last summer, saw my first two (and hopefully last) random lightning strikes.  Associated storms were 30-40 miles away.  We could not even hear thunder or see lightning, just clouds from a distance.  Then out of the blue, "Boom!"  I mentioned that because it is that time of year when we see severe wx. Never underestimate how far lightning can travel from a storm.

Good call on lightning safety!

March 27 storms, Monday, I got more pea and marble hail, perhaps a dime or two. It was around 7pm again I guess my magic hour.

Today March 30 is another gorgeous 80 degree day. With dewpoint at 50*, lower than on Wednesday, it is very comfortable. *Gee I wonder what happened to severe, lol!

Bigdog, headed up to the mountains to fish yesterday.   Streams were nearly blown out from rain yesterday morning.   Last fall they were barely moving.  Check out this graphic.   We managed to catch one rainbow in the state park which is well upstream from this reading.  Last fall it was basically unfishable due to low water and not wanting to stress fish...yesterday it was almost too high to fish.  700 cfs gain in just a few hours.

https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/tn/nwis/rt 

IMG_0499.thumb.PNG.233d604d44b6635fbe7b1ddf9a391875.PNG

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:54 AM, Carvers Gap said:

Weather here has been beautiful if not a bit too dry.  Have done a bit of fishing.   Lightning ran us off the river one day.  It had been a bit windy and some sprinkles were in the air...no sign of lightning at all.  (I don't stay on the water during storms.) As the line of light rain moved parallel to the ridge line...bang!  The storm built right over us. We hustled the wooded, .25 mi trail back to the truck.  Last summer, saw my first two (and hopefully last) random lightning strikes.  Associated storms were 30-40 miles away.  We could not even hear thunder or see lightning, just clouds from a distance.  Then out of the blue, "Boom!"  I mentioned that because it is that time of year when we see severe wx. Never underestimate how far lightning can travel from a storm.

Sometimes the saying, "when thunder roars, go indoors" is even inadequate when it comes to watching out for lightning.  Just last year on a hot, sunny day, I was on the deck grilling out in the evening.  There were a few large, towering cumulus approaching from the west, but no visible rain shafts were noted, and the sun was shining behind the clouds.  No thunder to speak of, because the storm had not yet developed.  As the cloud passed overhead, I heard a few very large rain drops begin to fall, but the sky was still bright save this one darkening cloud.  As I turned to go into the house, a bright flash blinded me as a bolt from nowhere hit in the woods nearby.  Before I could even react, the thunder exploded (literally) around me, and I ran into the house like a whipped pup. lol

Anyway, there was no sign whatsoever that this one lone cloud was about to unleash a bolt like that.  Most would've been caught totally unaware.  There was no thunder, rain, and the sun was out.  One really has to watch the clouds themselves, and know which ones COULD unleash lightning on a hot summer afternoon. 

Archived