SnowHabit
March med-long range disco 3

WxUSAF

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

yes..Tuesday afternoon

OK, thanks.  I can see it being tight for awhile Tuesday afternoon, but then temps plummet as the thing winds up late day.  Of course by then, we'd have gotten hit pretty well already.  On the other hand, I guess we also want it to cool off rapidly late Monday before the precip starts, but maybe that's not a factor here.

ETA:  Could this almost be similar to the Feb. 12-13, 2014 event as things stand now?  In terms of getting hammered overnight into early morning, followed by light rain/drizzle much of the next day.  It's not identical and I don't even think the setup is the same.  But was just in the back of my mind.

LWX Afternoon AFD re next week system:

.LONG TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...
A weak wave of low pressure will pass well south of the area on
Sunday. The edge of upper jet forcing/vorticity advection could clip
areas from Monterey to Charlottesville with some flurries or light
snow, but areas north of there across the rest of the CWA likely
won`t see any precipitation from this system. Temperatures will
remain well below normal, with daytime highs a few degrees on either
side of the freezing mark.

Pattern evolution and model guidance continues to show potential for
wintry weather early next week. The most likely time from would be
late Monday into Tuesday. Model guidance has been quite persistent
with broad, anomalously strong ridging over western North America
anchored near longitude 120 W. This is a very favorable position for
East Coast cyclogenesis. Models have been inconsistent with the
extent of transient downstream blocking over the North Atlantic,
which will play an important role in the degrees of phasing of
northern and southern stream shortwaves and ultimately the
track/strength/impact of the storm early next week. Virtually all
guidance now show at least light measurable precipitation, with a
few runs (12z GFS/CMC/UKMET) showing a stronger system hugging the
coast Monday night into Tuesday. Given the highly anomalous cold in
place before the storm and potential phasing, this system bears
close watching in the coming days.

A reinforcing shot of cold will follow the early week system keeping
temperatures below to well below normal through much of next
week.

In seriousness, I do think over amped is the bigger risk, and if you told me right now DC manages not to get snow I would say probably because the trough ends up digging down too far west and the storm cuts inland a bit and they go to rain.  BUT....I do not think that is what is going to happen.  And even if it did DC would probably still get SOMETHING from a front end thump.  But right now we are in a pretty good spot.  I would like to see a little bit more of a trend in our favor between the 3 variables I said earlier, (vort dig, early phase, stj energy) so that we have some wiggle room come the last minute adjustment period.  You don't want to be riding the southern edge at 48 hours, we know that.  But the trends are in our favor right now and were inside that magic day 5 wall.  SO I am cautiously optimistic here, was just pointing out what my biggest fear of failure is, because some earlier seemed more worried about a miss to the east or northeast when in reality I think our bigger worry if it comes to it would be a too west solution. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

In seriousness, I do think over amped is the bigger risk, and if you told me right now DC manages not to get snow I would say probably because the trough ends up digging down too far west and the storm cuts inland a bit and they go to rain.  BUT....I do not think that is what is going to happen.  And even if it did DC would probably still get SOMETHING from a front end thump.  But right now we are in a pretty good spot.  I would like to see a little bit more of a trend in our favor between the 3 variables I said earlier, (vort dig, early phase, stj energy) so that we have some wiggle room come the last minute adjustment period.  You don't want to be riding the southern edge at 48 hours, we know that.  But the trends are in our favor right now and were inside that magic day 5 wall.  SO I am cautiously optimistic here, was just pointing out what my biggest fear of failure is, because some earlier seemed more worried about a miss to the east or northeast when in reality I think our bigger worry if it comes to it would be a too west solution. 

I see...But I still don't quite get you saying you liked Sunday, a complete miss, better than Tuesday. Lol

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

What are your thoughts on the potential of this for us if things trend better? Any decent snowstorm would be great, but I'm really about going big or going home. I'm talking top 10-15 snowstorm in Baltimore history. Can we hit 20? 2 feet?

you realize it's March, right? double digits would be impressive and probably historic

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived