Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March med-long range disco 3

WxUSAF

2 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Was just reading up on that last week--Now what the heck happened with that one, anyway? (Other than primitive meteorology and such, haha) I mean, that had to be incredible!

It was an inverted trough extending from a relatively weak surface low off the coast. The snowfall distribution, relatively narrow and in a nw se orientation is consistent with such a feature but the amazing totals and time of year were what really made it a historic event. 

I am not sure if a similar event would be forecasted great today. We probably would have at least some inkling that there was the possibility but inverted trough type bands are notoriously difficult to pin down even today. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimoresun.com/news/weather/weather-blog/bal-wx-70-years-ago-a-snowstorm-took-baltimore-by-surprise-20120327-story,amp.html

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Yeah, where's Bob?

Eh, they've been inconsistent for the last month. No surprise here. They start 3 freshmen so they have plenty of room to grow. I doubt Trimble goes to the NBA after the up and down year he had. A win would have been nice but they werent going farther than that either way 

25 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Eh, they've been inconsistent for the last month. No surprise here. They start 3 freshmen so they have plenty of room to grow. I doubt Trimble goes to the NBA after the up and down year he had. A win would have been nice but they werent going farther than that either way 

Pretty much sums up the Va scenario as well

9 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Does nothing in life upset you?

Important stuff does.  Weather and sports don't count. 

The winter wx door is still slightly cracked but very close to being slammed shut. That doesn't upset me. I'm ready to move on to severe fails anyway. Snow fails have lost their luster. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Important stuff does.  Weather and sports don't count. 

The winter wx door is still slightly cracked but very close to being slammed shut. That doesn't upset me. I'm ready to move on to severe fails anyway. Snow fails have lost their luster. 

yes it doesn't look particularly warm or cold over the next couple weeks.  Cooler side of normal perhaps?

11 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Better than the coming Maryland loss. Weren't they supposed to be good this year?

No MD was not supposed to be good this year.  They started 3 freshman.  They as got a bad draw with X.  They were a 3 seed until their star player got hurt.  They lost 7 in a row.  Took them some time to find their identity after the injury.  I think they will be a force in the tournament.

6 hours ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

No MD was not supposed to be good this year.  They started 3 freshman.  They as got a bad draw with X.  They were a 3 seed until their star player got hurt.  They lost 7 in a row.  Took them some time to find their identity after the injury.  I think they will be a force in the tournament.

the terps lacked playmakers, simple as that.  their big men had a range that went out to about 2 feet from the basket and aside from their point guards, just about no one was able to drive to the basket and make plays on their own in isolation.  game planning against them is easy.  stop trimble and let the others beat you, which they weren't able to do against the stronger teams on a consistent basis.  the freshmen need mileage.  hopefully, they make their way to the crc over the summer and get a lot of games in.  they need that more than they need drills.  

and yes, we're talking about sports in the long range thread because winter is o-vah...until the freak april snowstorm, of course.

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Wave showing up Tuesday night worth watching. Temps borderline but it's at night and probably the last chance before the pattern breaks down. 

You should see the long range around the weekend of the 25th through 27th on the Euro. Anomalous H5 low tracking across the country with 1041 HP pressing in from Quebec. Areas to our north into PA get pummeled and we end up transitioning to snow as well as the cold wedge bleeds south east of the Blue Ridge. The SE Ridge pumping the heights ahead of the disturbance basically kill any chance of a full snow event this way until the upper low is under us, but areas around I-80 get hit hard. You think Binghamton can share some of that snow?

3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

You should see the long range around the weekend of the 25th through 27th on the Euro. Anomalous H5 low tracking across the country with 1041 HP pressing in from Quebec. Areas to our north into PA get pummeled and we end up transitioning to snow as well as the cold wedge bleeds south east of the Blue Ridge. The SE Ridge pumping the heights ahead of the disturbance basically kill any chance of a full snow event this way until the upper low is under us, but areas around I-80 get hit hard. You think Binghamton can share some of that snow?

Just saw.  It is the time of year those cut off lows can just cut across like that.  Too far out to worry about details. Ggem has a similar look but further north. Things have trended south a few times lately so maybe. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Just saw.  It is the time of year those cut off lows can just cut across like that.  Too far out to worry about details. Ggem has a similar look but further north. Things have trended south a few times lately so maybe. 

I know and that's something to keep an eye on both for winter and severe weather purposes. Where I forecast for, looking closely at the pattern progression to see what kind of severe potential we have at some of our sites. I'll be watching intently. 

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

Surprised not to see more chatter about this..I just checked it..man, if we can get that SE ridge to stop flexing a bit.  

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Just about....I'm outta here on the 30th (Australia, SE Asia and Japan), so it'll definitely be over for me.

But you will miss our April 3 blizzard. It's actually becoming comical that there are even still ghosts of threats to look at now. At some point cruel climo slams the door shut but if it's going to be chilly might as well eek another threat or two out of this better pattern. We will have some sunny warm days anyways mixed in given the time of year but if we also have another threat to track I won't complain. 

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

But you will miss our April 3 blizzard. It's actually becoming comical that there are even still ghosts of threats to look at now. At some point cruel climo slams the door shut but if it's going to be chilly might as well eek another threat or two out of this better pattern. We will have some sunny warm days anyways mixed in given the time of year but if we also have another threat to track I won't complain. 

That's my birthday.  I'm in. If it's real I get to start the thread.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived