SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March med-long range disco 3

WxUSAF

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except for the obvious issues with the western extent of the track it was a very good run. One thing I would like to point out is that it looks as if the GFS took a pretty big step on moving towards a capture. Drops the northern portion of the trough somewhat deeper and speeds that up somewhat from the 06Z run. We now see less separation between the surface low and the strong closed low at 500's. Implications of seeing a capture at this point with this setup would probably be to slow the low down and/or back it up somewhat. Depending on if this were to happen and where the placement of this would occur could mean somewhat big implications towards totals for a portion of the east where this occurred.

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

GFS rebuilds the davis/baffin block and basically has a winter pattern through all 16 days. 

Haven't really looked in the longer range since the Tuesday storm hit the radar. Quite noticeable changes on both the GEFS and the EPS  from what we were seeing just 4-5 days ago. 

7 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Mount Holly, in their morning AFD, used the phrase "astounding snow totals" when discussing a Euro-like evolution.

Yes, when I read that I almost posted it here.  I have never seen them write something like that before. I don't think they are referring to my area unfortunately.

5 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

GFS rebuilds the davis/baffin block and basically has a winter pattern through all 16 days. 

gfs_z500a_nhem_48.png

18z gfs has snow on snow on snow lol. The last one warms and goes to rain after a thump but who cares and it's 8 days out. 

When these things set in they often have legs and models try to break them down too fast just like with warm patterns. We probably stay below normal for a while in general. I wonder how much "winter" we can bleed out of this pattern before climo slams the door shut. 

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

18z gfs has snow on snow on snow lol. The last one warms and goes to rain after a thump but who cares and it's 8 days out. 

When these things set in they often have legs and models try to break them down too fast just like with warm patterns. We probably stay below normal for a while in general. I wonder how much "winter" we can bleed out of this pattern before climo slams the door shut. 

Well late March into April (3/22-4/7) 1990 had three decent snows, so that's kind of the recent benchmark for super late season production. I'm hoping for one last event in early April. 

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If tues pans out well and we get an inv trough on Wed or a clipper on thurs then I'm pretty much happy for the year and really won't care. A complete disaster snatched from the jaws of depsair at the last minute makes everything right with the world. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If tues pans out well and we get an inv trough on Wed or a clipper on thurs then I'm pretty much happy for the year and really won't care. A complete disaster snatched from the jaws of depsair at the last minute makes everything right with the world. 

Any winter that has an 6"+ event that sticks on the roads gets a passing grade from me. I rated 08/09 a D-. 

43 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I agree. If we pull off a good week in front of us then anything after is just gravy. The signal day 8 is pretty good on the ensembles. If Tuesday wasn't in front of us we would be talking about it. 

2 hours ago, SlowerLowerDE said:

Yes, when I read that I almost posted it here.  I have never seen them write something like that before. I don't think they are referring to my area unfortunately.

Yes I doubt it will be my area either. But that all depends on the model run, and which silly generated snow map(if any) one chooses to put stock in.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived