Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March med-long range disco 3

WxUSAF

6 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I don't really understand the mindset that a big snowstorm can't happen in March. Why not? Just because very few have happened in the past? That's just because it's difficult to get the cold air in place and also have a dynamic system. In this case, we have the cold air in place, which is difficult in March. On top of that, you have a lot of warm air running around in March, so if you can get that running into cold air, you can really go big.

It's been so warm this winter I think it is hard to believe it can come back this late.

If it had been cold and snowy since December people would more easily buy into this storm since it would still feel like deep winter. Instead, it feels like an interruption to the ongoing spring.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

First off we will be in a cold airmass.  Secondly, it is a mostly overnight storm.  We have had 3 storms with 10+ inches in the last 4 years in March

Yes...March 2014 and 2015 in particular stand out.  I didn't get 10"+ from any March event where I'm at, but got a couple of storms of around 6" and the St. Patrick's snow in 2014 was 8".  And a couple of smaller ones on the 25th in both 2013 and 2014.  A couple of those storms stood out as being quite cold, too, during the day.

5 minutes ago, Don Cherry's Jacket said:

Well, the last part about the warm air elsewhere being able to amp the storm I do agree with.  But, its also why its hard to fully believe in a big storm. Minor track differences creating hefty differences in the snow/rain line, for example.   Like I said, let's see how the models progress over the weekend.  Realistically, down seems like the only real direction.  

could be right.  I dont think anyone here is 100% sold on this and wont be until around Sunday morning.  but things do look pretty good right now for most on or west of the fall line.  just my 2 cents..east of that could mix but when don't they..not often.  fun to track regardless and beats 70s and sun. 

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Heh...Chuck Bell on NBC 4 saying "no way" more than an inch falls next Tuesday.  

I think hes just going with the odds.. after all hes been right all winter!  insignificant amount of snow at dca so far to date

4 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

could be right.  I dont think anyone here is 100% sold on this and wont be until around Sunday morning.  but things do look pretty good right now for most on or west of the fall line.  just my 2 cents..east of that could mix but when don't they..not often.  fun to track regardless and beats 70s and sun. 

Agree that tracking this is fun and healthy scientific skepticism is warranted and interesting.  Disagree that it is better than 70 and sun, especially over the weekend.... 

21 minutes ago, Don Cherry's Jacket said:

I know the models are showing this in some instances, but I have real trouble believing a 10 inch snow storm is actually possible in March.  Call it sun angle, latitude, hunch, warm pavement, whatever, but my mind is looking at these outputs and just saying "no way".  Will be really interesting to see how this evolves over the weekend.  

Good thing snowfall measurements are not taken on pavement ;)

I get what you're trying to say but you see my point as well I hope... Onto the GFS!

Looks like a significant change in the placement of the northern stream SLP at hr 54 - from mid Colorado to South Dakota - compared to previous runs; not sure what that implies down stream in terms of later confluence?

ETA: Never mind, looks like a glitch, it's back south again at hr 60.

4 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yes...March 2014 and 2015 in particular stand out.  I didn't get 10"+ from any March event where I'm at, but got a couple of storms of around 6" and the St. Patrick's snow in 2014 was 8".  And a couple of smaller ones on the 25th in both 2013 and 2014.  A couple of those storms stood out as being quite cold, too, during the day.

I was going to say, the St. Patrick's Day storm stood out in my mind. Probably my favorite of that winter, since being east of 95 the Feb 2014 Miller A gave me 7" of snow, followed by rain, then 4 or inches of snow with the deformation axis. 

I distinctly recall the March 17th 2014 event being at night (16th into the 17th), which totaled 8.5" at my place. A great system, one that certainly met my expectations if not "overperformed". That's a pretty solid, relatively recent analog right there. 

Also, recall the March 25th event back in 2013. This was a couple weeks after "Snowqueaster".  I measured 3.2" that morning, which was the most I had seen all winter.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived