Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 10th event model discussion and obs

cae

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mappy said:

well hello neighbor! Nice to see some other northern Balt (and PA) folks in my neck of woods do exist :) 

Been a lurker for many years, since the extent of my meteorological knowledge came from a handful of classes in flight school 20 years ago.  It's amazing what a few miles and a couple hundred feet of elevation can do.  My wife said that it was just plain rain south of Hereford.

Just now, Navy96 said:

Been a lurker for many years, since the extent of my meteorological knowledge came from a handful of classes in flight school 20 years ago.  It's amazing what a few miles and a couple hundred feet of elevation can do.  My wife said that it was just plain rain south of Hereford.

I'm in Hunt Valley right now and its snowing. 

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

What's with the heavy line of returns from DC back towards Charlottesville? Is that sleet in the mid-levels that's melting at it gets to the ground?

Not sleet, actually melting snowflakes.  There is a point where they are melting and get coated in water so the radar sees them as fat raindrops which increases the reflectivity.  Bright banding.  In more stratiform precip it shows up in a circle because the radar is hitting it at the same height, but in this case everything is moving and changing so it is more of a line.

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

Not sleet, actually melting snowflakes.  There is a point where they are melting and get coated in water so the radar sees them as fat raindrops which increases the reflectivity.  Bright banding.  In more stratiform precip it shows up in a circle because the radar is hitting it at the same height, but in this case everything is moving and changing so it is more of a line.

Very cool. Thanks, MN!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived