Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 10 Clipper Observations

Spanks45

5 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I know you suffered through some terrible years snow wise in sw RI, but from you to Kevin has really been the promised land the past ten years or so. Not just the big events, countless smaller to mid size ones along with some wild arctic squalls

What a run for you guys and it shows no sign of letting up.

Tired of being bitter about it, congrats guys :)

The whole area into SE MA where they have 3" too. Regression comes sooner or later..but we are fortunate and lucky.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I know you suffered through some terrible years snow wise in sw RI, but from you to Kevin has really been the promised land the past ten years or so. Not just the big events, countless smaller to mid size ones along with some wild arctic squalls

What a run for you guys and it shows no sign of letting up.

Tired of being bitter about it, congrats guys :)

Lol I am happy with whatever any extra day brings. Snow is a bonus. My area always has been a good area, far enough from the shore yet close enough for ocean moisture and with some  elevation able to stem off mixing. 

5 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Roads mainly wet... so a 0 impact event for many.

But... the NWS gone wild and other local TV stations gone wild (one had 6"+ for southern half of CT). Terrible! 

I thought the srn areas had a shot for 6 there. But definitely not widespread.

11 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

But... the NWS gone wild and other local TV stations gone wild (one had 6"+ for southern half of CT). Terrible! 

I'm sure that forced all the ridiculous school closings today.   Closed for wet roads!   Insane.   3 inches here, only on grass and roofs/cars.   The entire state of CT had a snow day for that.    Must be fun answering phones at the board of Ed today.

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I'm sure that forced all the ridiculous school closings today.   Closed for wet roads!   Insane.   3 inches here, only on grass and roofs/cars.   The entire state of CT had a snow day for that.   

Mostly light intensity (though getting some nice fat flakes here now), in the daytime in mid-March, with temps in the 30s... not sure what people expected with respect to road conditions. I think Ryan or maybe it was Bob Maxon actually mentioned roads would mostly just be wet yesterday. It's probably an easier sell to close schools on a Friday or Monday though.

22 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

4 inches OTG in Easton as well as Fairfield where my father lives.

I'm a little surprised that the roads have virtually zero snow cover.  I expected some melting, but given that it's been snowing pretty hard, the temps are below freezing, and much of the snowfall was before sunrise, I expected at least patchy cover on roads.  I guess the stored heat from yesterday, the fact that it's only slightly below freezing (31F), and the fact that snowfall hasn't been extremely intense has been enough to keep roads just wet.

10 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Mostly light intensity (though getting some nice fat flakes here now), in the daytime in mid-March, with temps in the 30s... not sure what people expected with respect to road conditions. I think Ryan or maybe it was Bob Maxon actually mentioned roads would mostly just be wet yesterday. It's probably an easier sell to close schools on a Friday or Monday though.

I figured late in the year, not many snow days so far and a Friday contributed to it.  I can't believe Public works here would recommend a closure today-the super talks to them amongst other sources

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It was warranted in Tolland with the roads snow covered. Certainly drivable, but roads are not wet. 

I think the biggest concern parents have is next week looking at 2-3 days off depending on amount of snow that comes. That adds a lot of extra days on to school year and parents working schedules altered.

not to mention adding days in June when it's hot and many schools are not air conditioned.   

10 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I'm sure that forced all the ridiculous school closings today.   Closed for wet roads!   Insane.   3 inches here, only on grass and roofs/cars.   The entire state of CT had a snow day for that.    Must be fun answering phones at the board of Ed today.

While cruising the NYC metro forum, I learned that my old HS in NNJ closed for 2" that stuck only on grass and car roofs.  Ludicrous.

Just clouds with occasional dim sun here in Augusta, as was forecast.  If we get any flakes today, they'll come from when the Arctic blast arrives.  I'm hoping (but not optimistic) this evening's temps drop quickly enough so tomorrow's frigid max isn't spoiled by a cheap high at my 9 PM obs time.

3 minutes ago, sankaty said:

I'm a little surprised that the roads have virtually zero snow cover.  I expected some melting, but given that it's been snowing pretty hard, the temps are below freezing, and much of the snowfall was before sunrise, I expected at least patchy cover on roads.  I guess the stored heat from yesterday, the fact that it's only slightly below freezing (31F), and the fact that snowfall hasn't been extremely intense has been enough to keep roads just wet.

My thought is temps yesterday in the 50s and temps right around freezing with light to mod snow made the difference vs. what we had on Feb 9th which was temps in the 50s and 60s the day beforE, however, snow was extremely heavy and temps fell to freezing, then uppers 20s then down into the mid to low 20s. The March sun angle should have nothing to do with why the roads are wet because it started in the overnight hours and continued into early morning 6, 7, 8 am and the roads were still wet. The sun angle at that time is no stronger than midday in Jan. 

Should be closing in on 4" now, looks like the accumulating snow is quickly coming to end though. Hopefully the sun comes out and the roads will be fine tonight so i can go out. Fingers crossed.

9 minutes ago, sankaty said:

It was still in the 40's late into the night in the valley and on the shore..that didn't help

Archived