SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/11-3/12 Winter Storm

BornAgain13

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my experience these fingers of precip leading a storm can really overperform. We have expected a dusting from a leading fingner in the past and ended up sitting with 2-3 inches.  Of the few setups we get these overunning types seem to overperform the most. 

Watch for the nam and especially the HRRR to slowly bump up qpf across the area over the next day! Given the setup I believe we will have alittle more moisture to work with than currently progged. Our issue is it will be in and out extremely fast but I think a lot of NC folks have a decent shot at 1-3 and maybe even 4 toward western nc

Yeah there is a fine line between a flurry and a 3-4" event with this system. One of these times we are going to get a storm that over performs and ends up surprising us with a good thump....the upside it it can really only trend better at the point lol...at this point I expect to maybe see some flakes with little to no accumulations except maybe vehicles etc...and even then a dusting to a inch at best. 

50 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Yeah there is a fine line between a flurry and a 3-4" event with this system. One of these times we are going to get a storm that over performs and ends up surprising us with a good thump....the upside it it can really only trend better at the point lol...at this point I expect to maybe see some flakes with little to no accumulations except maybe vehicles etc...and even then a dusting to a inch at best. 

IMO it may be better than that

1 minute ago, DopplerWx said:

nam looks better to me at 30, precip a bit more expansive north, lets see if it hold together

It should wane a bit as it passes south of the mts, we just need it to be more organized and able to "refire" once its in central and eastern SC as it nears the coast...

So the 12km,4km, 3k NAM and the RGEM all show between 1.5 and 3 inches of accumulation here assuming 10:1 ratio's once we flip from rain to snow.  

I'll assume 1/4 of that doesn't stick at all to allow time for surface temps to reach 33/32, and I'll say the other half accumulates at about 8:1 on elevated surfaces. 

So, I think the upstate is good for a solid 1 to 2 inches. Maybe 3 inches in isolated spots if the banding trains over an area for a few hours. Southwest Mountains look good for a solid 4 to 8 inches since surface temps will be much colder there.  

What could go wrong? Surface temps could take longer to cool; however, soundings show an extremely shallow warm layer at the surface with -3 to -5 850's. I don't think it will take very long at all to go from rain to 32/33 degree snow in this case.  

I feel pretty confident that adequate moisture is going to be there (for the upstate) as the hi-res models do seem to be picking up on some mesoscale trough enhancement as Northeast winds wrap around the base of the mountains.

40 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Lol... macks not even looking at maps, just assuming a fail.

Ha, it's Mack-bot

Man, all I am seeing is QPF reduction.  Yeah, RGEM did increase a little (it was very light to begin with), but the 18z GFS and 00z NAM decreased their snow footprint overall.  Yeah, it's moving south into SC which is cool for those folks, but the bigger story to me is that the QPF is weak across the board pretty much now on the models.  DWD ICON has been weak all along.  Southern mtns look the best obviously, but we aren't ramping up with precip right now as we get closer, we are ramping down.

Archived