SnowHabit
3/11-3/12 Winter Storm

BornAgain13

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, franklin NCwx said:

Are you talking to yourself?

Yes, strangely enough I must be.  I have been watching my temps and they are erratic. Back up to 44 within minutes. I guess I am desperate for one last winter shot.  Sucks to have grown up in upstate NY with snow up to the roof, then spending the last 37 years down here in the 3 inch per year zone.  Still have not adjusted, but it is a beauty thing for me. There is nothing like having to dig a tunnel to your front door in late Dec thru early Mar. My wife still thinks I make it all up but it was very real.

Winds have shifted to coming out of the NE over the last hour on my weather station... now we need them to pick up... wedge boundary seems to be the spark for the heavy precip and rain to snow flip over the upstate. We need them all to align just right for accumulations... lol

1 minute ago, CarlHill said:

Yes, strangely enough I must be.  I have been watching my temps and they are erratic. Back up to 44 within minutes. I guess I am desperate for one last winter shot.  Sucks to have grown up in upstate NY with snow up to the roof, then spending the last 37 years down here in the 3 inch per year zone.  Still have not adjusted, but it is a beauty thing for me. There is nothing like having to dig a tunnel to your front door in late Dec thru early Mar. My wife still thinks I make it all up but it was very real.

Lol.. that's sounds awesome for a few years but I bet it gets old having that much snow.  I couldn't imagine living in the upstate you guys get screwed almost every year. 

3 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Those bands in TN  and N MS/ AL , need to come together, or we are going to get dry slotted! :)

I've wasted the last three hours watching them and waiting for them to come together... Oh well, I don't watch basketball so no real loss other than busted hopes... Back down to 41 now so at least I have the temps to watch...I talked to the mayor and he claims there is no such thing as an Easley snow shield. I don't believe him.

9 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Lol.. that's sounds awesome for a few years but I bet it gets old having that much snow.  I couldn't imagine living in the upstate you guys get screwed almost every year. 

It really never got old at that age. On the contrary, it always seemed to be a big thrill year after year. It would get old now being 50, but maybe every other year or so would be great.  My own children think I'm nuts but it was great.  Someday I'm going to take them up there and let them see it for themselves.  I find myself all fired up waiting for 3-4 inches down here. Been like that since 1981.  I wouldn't trade my southern-belle wife for all of the snow in the world though!!!

39 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Just saw that; at least a few hours of snow for us. That would be a huge win for us.

48 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

rgem is improved for rdu and the 02z hrrr shifted precip north another 25 miles or so.  i feel like rdu will likely see at least some snow tomorrow, not being shutout would be a win.

We just need that area of best lift to expand which can happen if the low gets stronger... At this point I will settle with just seeing some snow cover the cars and roofs....DP was 5 early today juiced up to 23 now but the temp is 33 so temps are not a issue in fact we probably get down to 29-30 tonight and could get lower if we got heavier precip. All in all though I can stomach seeing those in SE NC and SC getting snow easier than others to my north and west :) 

Thanks for posting the maps tonight wncsnow.  It looks like the GFS and NAM bring the precip farther north in NC than the HRRR (in W Piedmont and Foothills)...HRRR is farther south.

One thing I find mildly interesting is some slight strengthening of the 850 circulation as it rolls thru along the NC/SC border....and there's a band of frontogenesis that rolls through S NC...could aid in developing some steady snow there

2So3L6N.gif

MQ64ZIp.gif

12 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I'm up to 2! GSP likes to start low and adjust up! Keep going!

Don't get your hopes up too much. It's been snowing up the mountain for most of the day and it's not accumulating anywhere except for car hoods and grass, and even that only started happening about an hour ago. 

2" may fall from the sky but a trace is all you're probably going to get on the ground. The ground temps are just scorching.

Archived