Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
3/11-3/12 Winter Storm

BornAgain13

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How are things looking for Sapphire, NC? Radar looks ok but I can't tell that much.  

I would think that area does a little better with precip approaching more from the SW and with stronger 850mb warm advection as opposed to precip moving west to east like this, but the locals can comment...beautiful area there though

16 minutes ago, CarlHill said:

41 in Easley and dropping. The birds have silenced. Something is coming...

Where are you in Easley? I'm on the Northern edge and it's still 46 at my place - I'm usually one of the colder spots around Easley.

On the credit side , I noticed it is snowing in SC right around the border - so Table Rock, Caeser's Head getting snow with temps in the low 30s, according to WYFF Radar at least. 

4 minutes ago, griteater said:

I would think that area does a little better with precip approaching more from the SW and with stronger 850mb warm advection as opposed to precip moving west to east like this, but the locals can comment...beautiful area there though

Thanks. Just came up for the night from Atl to visit the uncle.  Hoping to see some nice snow!

5 minutes ago, griteater said:

I'll be up all night spotlighting stray flurries, lol. I'm pitiful

Finally getting QPF totals...NAM came in with 0.3-0.4" QPF from GSP to CLT.  2-3" between you and Mac and then 1-2 until SE NC where it's 2-3" there.   Spot checking soundings looks to be snow.  Nice...hope it's right.  I still have AmWx's models and Allan's site is updating on time it appears...the winter package is a great deal.

Nothing north of FAY essentially.

3 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Finally getting QPF totals...NAM came in with 0.3-0.4" QPF from GSP to CLT.  2-3" between you and Mac and then 1-2 until SE NC where it's 2-3" there.   Spot checking soundings looks to be snow.  Nice...hope it's right.  I still have AmWx's models and Allan's site is updating on time it appears...the winter package is a great deal.

Hows it look for Asheville and surrounding areas? NCEP having issues..

3 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Hows it look for Asheville and surrounding areas? NCEP having issues..

Franklin is the big winner with 0.6" qpf and Asheville is between 0.25-0.5" range.  My guess is NW of Asheville is 0.25" and SE is closer to 0.5".  Going to be a narrow band somewhere it appears that could be in 2-4" range.

11 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Got any upper level temp maps ? 850s !? Any ugly warm noses around!? Those HRRRs are showing a heavy band around Greenwood, to my south

2 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Got any upper level temp maps ? 850s !? Any ugly warm noses around!? Those HRRRs are showing a heavy band around Greenwood, to my south

Here you go. The frontogenesis map will show where the best banding should set up  

IMG_0360.GIF

IMG_0361.GIF

32 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Where are you in Easley? I'm on the Northern edge and it's still 46 at my place - I'm usually one of the colder spots around Easley.

On the credit side , I noticed it is snowing in SC right around the border - so Table Rock, Caeser's Head getting snow with temps in the low 30s, according to WYFF Radar at least. 

Right next to Smithfields under the anti-Snowdome, 44 here now and dropping.  Nice to see another Easley folk here.  I don't post much anymore, got banned this year for criticizing the local mets.

7 minutes ago, CarlHill said:

Right next to Smithfields under the anti-Snowdome, 44 here now and dropping.  Nice to see another Easley folk here.  I don't post much anymore, got banned this year for criticizing the local mets.

What is going on with the temps?  It was 41 here earlier, then up to 46, then down to 44, now 42.  I have been asking the birds to talk to me, but to no avail. They are silent now and the chipmunks have all gone subterranean. Could snow really be coming? I am hopeful...If our local mets aren't calling for 5-10 inches, then we are guaranteed half of that.

Just now, CarlHill said:

What is going on with the temps?  It was 41 here earlier, then up to 46, then down to 44, now 42.  I have been asking the birds to talk to me, but to no avail. They are silent now and the chipmunks have all gone subterranean. Could snow really be coming? I am hopeful...If our local mets aren't calling for 5-10 inches, then we are guaranteed half of that.

There's heavy precip coming in, probably wet bulbing temps down right now 

1 minute ago, CarlHill said:

Are you talking to yourself?

13 minutes ago, jshetley said:

There is a major dewpoint boundary slowly coming south across NC that could very well get down into SC and make this happen. but without that boundary getting here, snow won't occur anywhere outside of the mountains in SC. 

You make my head hurt also. 

Archived