Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/11-3/12 Winter Storm

BornAgain13

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SimeonNC said:

With the reports of areas in MS/TN receiving heavy snow rates and having multiple inches on the ground I would lean towards the NAM. Thought I still believe many areas in Southern NC will overperform and be on the high end of 1-3" inches. 

Hope you hit on the forecast...good luck on the call

mPING ground truth reports - https://mping.ou.edu/display/

Iy4bBrh.gif

3 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

latest hrrr, going to be so painful watching the returns bounce around wake county tomorrow morning. i fully expect the snow shield to be in effect. darlington county in sc could be the money spot for this storm.

Yep, this is one of those times it's bad to be north of Raleigh. You win some and lose some.

I know that this is NOT an Obs thread, however, I want to report that it snowed in Belmont for 5 minutes, while sitting at 43 degrees, partly cloudy and sunshine. This tells me WB's will not be an issue and that there will be more lifting than the models are letting on. Just my 2 pennies. We shall see...

Thanks for the input earlier GRITEATER!

Just now, Rankin5150 said:

I know that this is NOT an Obs thread, however, I want to report that it snowed in Belmont for 5 minutes, while sitting at 43 degrees, partly cloudy and sunshine. This tells me WB's will not be an issue and that there will be more lifting than the models are letting on. Just my 2 pennies. We shall see...

Thanks for the input earlier GRITEATER!

Good ole Belmont!! That's awesome! What part!? Near South Point High, Twin Tops, Sims Park, Belmont Abbey?? I miss that place a lot! Hope y'all get a good 2-3" tonight!

7 minutes ago, SimeonNC said:

TWC must share my sentiment about the storm because they upped the potential totals to 1-3" for tonight and less than an inch tomorrow for their local forecast for Charlotte.

This storm really dropped south of where it was scheduled to be on WednesdayNever mind I was looking at what came through yesterday in NE 

Ok...I am going to go out on a limb here and feed some snow weenies...looking at the setup we have in place and all the pieces we have to work with, I think there is an opportunity for a ULL to pop up somewhere. I have seen this before and the set up was the same. I believe it was around 2002 or 2003 timeframe? The NWS had been calling for 1-2" and late that night, the snow was coming down at an INSANE rate and i knew there was a bust in the works (the GREAT kind of bust, if you love snow). Anyway, we ended up with 12" on the ground. I will NEVER forget the NWS Forecaster on the night watch stating that "THERE IS A FLY IN THE OINTMENT.." while issuing a Winter Storm Warning for 8-12" of snow. GREAT MEMORIES. Does anyone else remember that one? 

2 minutes ago, Rankin5150 said:

Ok...I am going to go out on a limb here and feed some snow weenies...looking at the setup we have in place and all the pieces we have to work with, I think there is an opportunity for a ULL to pop up somewhere. I have seen this before and the set up was the same. I believe it was around 2002 or 2003 timeframe? The NWS had been calling for 1-2" and late that night, the snow was coming down at an INSANE rate and i knew there was a bust in the works (the GREAT kind of bust, if you love snow). Anyway, we ended up with 12" on the ground. I will NEVER forget the NWS Forecaster on the night watch stating that "THERE IS A FLY IN THE OINTMENT.." while issuing a Winter Storm Warning for 8-12" of snow. GREAT MEMORIES. Does anyone else remember that one? 

Yes! It was coming in from the west / NW, heard 1-3" in the evening , it was upped to 3-5" by midnight and it started here about 1-2 in morning and just kept re developing on radar! I was on Western edge, but remember Spartanburg and up 85 got 10+

11 minutes ago, Rankin5150 said:

Oh yeah, that one has legend status around here...Jan 2003.  We could overperform some, but the upper wave with this one is weak...and the storm will be in and out

Archived