• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/11-3/12 Winter Storm

BornAgain13

Looking like a car topper is possible across the upstate Sunday morning as the lead wave moves through.  Things are definitely looking bleak for a big hit in NC area's with the lead wave as the trend is flatter/weaker/colder.  Those guys will have to root for the back wave to preform if they want anything more than a coating that will be melted away a few hours after it falls.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like there's some decent wedge potential with the miller B transfer happening on most of the models as the coastal bombs out. Should keep boundary layer temps in check if precip blossoms quickly enough for NC as the coastal bombs.  mid level temps might still be an issue though.

12 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

Thinking this phases before. That miller B junk will be gone and replaced by a miller A. The sunday threat is dead. i think RDU jackpots from Tuesdays threat. 

Depends where you live. The sat-sun event is still good for some of us. 

3 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Depends where you live. The sat-sun event is still good for some of us. 

True. I'm speaking for my locale. But remember, most models kept on wanting to speed up the SW when it came from Washington in the last storm. I'm thinking this slows down and a gulf low forms and goes up the coast. Without a dying low, cold air will be plentiful. Might be a copy if the Jan storm. Patterns repeat.  

2 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

True. I'm speaking for my locale. But remember, most models kept on wanting to speed up the SW when it came from Washington in the last storm. I'm thinking this slows down and a gulf low forms and goes up the coast. Without a dying low, cold air will be plentiful. Might be a copy if the Jan storm. Patterns repeat.  

I like your thinking!

1 minute ago, SN_Lover said:

If you take away the dying low to west, that means we have an earlier phase... which means the bombing low is going to most likely be further west.. IE.. up the coast or inside of Hatteras. Potentially very good for the Mountains and maybe Hickory to Greensboro, but bad for Triangle.

2 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

And the cool thing is, the shortwave only trends stronger and the the precip shield only becomes more expansive from here. :)

yep we got it right were we want it :yikes:...., seriously though I would rather see this versus stronger earlier S/W that equals a  rain storm....hopefully once we get good sampling the models will revert back to the bombing low along the SC coast moving offshore scenario....the wave should be coming ashore over the NW tonight.

2 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

If you take away the dying low to west, that means we have an earlier phase... which means the bombing low is going to most likely be further west.. IE.. up the coast or inside of Hatteras. Potentially very good for the Mountains and maybe Hickory to Greensboro, but bad for Triangle.

Too early to go into that much detail. but yes, those are the climo favored areas for this setup. 

4 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

If only it would play out like that.

Here's the 18z GFS at 90 hrs.. Trending stronges with the polar wave and slower with the STJ wave

VoKIyAP.png

Now here's the 12z GEM to compare at the same time to show how the GFS is trending toward a big phaser.  The STJ wave is stronger and slower.

fYPfHSY.png

Let's back up a bit to 60 hrs (valid 6z 3/12) on the 18z GFS and notice the two pieces of energy - one over the central US (aka the weekend wave) and and other over Mexico.  GFS has been trending the central US wave slower and further SW.  The GEM infused the Mexico energy into the southern wave by this time .. that's going to be the ticket to a full throated Miller A HECS.  Otherwise we're looking at a hybrid A/B like the Euro or more Miller B like the GFS.

4q4zqFo.png

Archived