• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/11-3/12 Winter Storm

BornAgain13

The irony in the January storm was "NAM is too warm toss it" when every other models and ensemble was snowy. Turned out it was right. Now in March the NAM is snowy and everyone discounts it. Perhaps it is picking up on the energy interactions better than other models or the effects of CAD causing more overrunning precip as well? Remember global don't usually pick CAD up very well until within 48 hours and that can have an impact on their qpf output. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

The irony in the January storm was "NAM is too warm toss it" when every other models and ensemble was snowy. Turned out it was right. Now in March the NAM is snowy and everyone discounts it. Perhaps it is picking up on the energy interactions better than other models or the effects of CAD causing more overrunning precip as well? Remember global don't usually pick CAD up very well until within 48 hours and that can have an impact on their qpf output. 

I understand your sentiment.  However, the nam was correct on its thermal profiles and I don't believe the track, or precip precidiction, was significantly better than some of the other models.  Its wheelhouse is predicting where the rain/snow/sleet lines might setup in my opinion.  It has a know bias of overamping a system too far north and with way too much precip. 

7 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

I understand your sentiment.  However, the nam was correct on its thermal profiles and I don't believe the track, or precip precidiction, was significantly better than some of the other models.  Its wheelhouse is predicting where the rain/snow/sleet lines might setup in my opinion.  It has a know bias of overamping a system too far north and with way too much precip. 

Fair enough, however in reference to the January system the screenshots I have saved matched up closely with radar and it's qpf was pretty close even 60+ hours out for that one. Who knows if it will perform well on this one but I expect other models will trend north and amp up some to be in line closer to what the NAM shows. 

9 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

Fair enough, however in reference to the January system the screenshots I have saved matched up closely with radar and it's qpf was pretty close even 60+ hours out for that one. Who knows if it will perform well on this one but I expect other models will trend north and amp up some to be in line closer to what the NAM shows. 

What makes you think this would trend north when it has continually moved on a southerly Jog throughout the past few days runs.

Didn't draw that very well...but it is likely the reason the 50/50 feature isn't hauling booty out.  It may very well mitigate a significant north trend...that is assuming the overly amped CMC doesn't turn out to be the case, which I kind of doubt.

My expectation is that the shortwave will trend stronger, precip more expansive, and the cold very marginal (but just cold enough), as we move in.  This will be for the same reasons it usually does.  Once it's sampled better tomorrow, we'll know more definitively what legit expectations should be.  I would forecast a 1-3" snowfall across N NC at this point, probably starting out as rain.  I think that's a reasonable forecast.

24 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

GSP said they would be putting out forecasts/maps for this weekends big snow, in the afternoon package!!!!! I'm on pins and needles! :)

It will show no snow south of HWY 11 in SC and will be right. The GSP metro itself will see all rain and not much of that. Next week is going to be a disaster with this awful return to January. I'm ready  for 70's and 80's and storms.

Archived