Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/11-3/12 Winter Storm

BornAgain13

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WeatherNC said:

Likely a solid NAM run based on H5 at 60, a little more press from the PV in SE Canada, ridge out west a little more stout, embedded sw is sharper.

Yeah the wave out west is already digging and healthier. I feel like this could be a NC/VA smashjob

The cold air mass is pretty damn strong, currently -30 to -50 temps west of the Hudson Bay in Canada, a piece of that is headed our way....would think if anything the models would trend colder not warmer. Need the low to stay weak until it is on the SC coast....this will reduce the warm nose threat, if it amps up to soon then we get mixing issues for sure.

15 minutes ago, ajr said:

Can you explain what you're seeing there? 

NC is in the right entrance region of a 150kt jet, a favorable environment for bookoo lift.  On the thickness plot, you usually want to be < 1540 at 850-700mb and < 1300 at 1000-850mb to not worry about mixing.  Plotted against the nomogram it and soundings tell you dominant type.

Image result for nomogram ptype

3 minutes ago, Cary_Snow95 said:

No I don't think so. I remember seeing it Tuesday night 01/03/17 and it had rain up thru Wake County. It never broke that trend

Ok good deal.  I thought we had a run or two that looked good but then it was the first model to trend away.  But I don't remember all that well, so you're probably right...in which case, the 81 hr NAM is encouraging!

Archived