Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mar 10 Clipper

ORH_wxman

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah was just gonna say. 3 IPAs in as it initialized and here comes the solution.

Damn, I'm only at #2.  :clap:  I will say the 1st was a IIIPA and the 2nd was a IIPA so it hits ya.

Looks like we get some enhancement over E areas as it exits.

Most guidance has had some IVT action as it exits...though a bit north of the main show. This run, it's mostly in a stripe from VT to about PWM...but maybe a little bit for E MA too.

I wish this wasn't the NAM and a more reliable model to get a good idea if this trend is real...but you'd still rather see it come north than not.

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Most guidance has had some IVT action as it exits...though a bit north of the main show. This run, it's mostly in a stripe from VT to about PWM...but maybe a little bit for E MA too.

I wish this wasn't the NAM and a more reliable model to get a good idea if this trend is real...but you'd still rather see it come north than not.

Yea, but we know its too north. Nam has not been bad this season imo but it is usually the left goal post.

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea, but we know its too north. Nam has not been bad this season imo but it is usually the left goal post.

I don't think the nam has been that bad at all this year.  Especially inside of 48 hours.  The trend is clear by hour 48.  This has legs IMO

edit- re read your post so I guess I'm agreeing with you

2 minutes ago, leesun said:

I don't think the nam has been that bad at all this year.  Especially inside of 48 hours.  The trend is clear by hour 48.  This has legs IMO

If had been terrible the last 6 weeks beyond 36.  Prior to that it was great, and not just to 36, it was doing well in November December and early January out through 72 in some instances.  Fwiw the RGEM at 48 does look fairly similar to the NAM over Missouri but it's hard to know where it goes from there 

53 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm not really shocked the NAM came north actually.  I thought this whole week...or past few days that we would begin t see the models track north a bit.  I thought the whole upper pattern advertised on the models (NAM/GFS/Euro) actually favored a track which should have been further north.  

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm not really shocked the NAM came north actually.  I thought this whole week...or past few days that we would begin t see the models track north a bit.  I thought the whole upper pattern advertised on the models (NAM/GFS/Euro) actually favored a track which should have been further north.  

I really don't think the track is the issue, it's whether inflow is adequate or wether confluence shreds it so it becomes a basic snow shower system like the Euro shows.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

I really don't think the track is the issue, it's whether inflow is adequate or wether confluence shreds it so it becomes a basic snow shower system like the Euro shows.

I would think confluence is more of a concern for Sunday than it is for Friday.  For Friday at leas the GFS has remained further south but at times both NAM/GFS showed what could be a potent little system.  Both models have had major differences where the baroclinic zone sets.  There is a rather potent jet streak which develops and rounds the base of the trough and this helps to allow for just enough amplification to get this thing going.  I would think inflow should be fine as well.  I was thinking track is bigger concern due to where baroclinic zone is and such.  The jet streak should help with amplification and from this thing going to shreds.  

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I would think confluence is more of a concern for Sunday than it is for Friday.  For Friday at leas the GFS has remained further south but at times both NAM/GFS showed what could be a potent little system.  Both models have had major differences where the baroclinic zone sets.  There is a rather potent jet streak which develops and rounds the base of the trough and this helps to allow for just enough amplification to get this thing going.  I would think inflow should be fine as well.  I was thinking track is bigger concern due to where baroclinic zone is and such.  The jet streak should help with amplification and from this thing going to shreds.  

I think the GFS shows exactly what I mean

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I think the GFS shows exactly what I mean

There doesn't appear to be strong differences in the vorticity field between the NAM/GFS (looking at 66HR) or the wind fields.  There are some subtle differences between north/south orientation and such but by looking at the upper pattern I would think more along the lines of something similar to the NAM as opposed to the GFS.  

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

There doesn't appear to be strong differences in the vorticity field between the NAM/GFS (looking at 66HR) or the wind fields.  There are some subtle differences between north/south orientation and such but by looking at the upper pattern I would think more along the lines of something similar to the NAM as opposed to the GFS.  

NAM over amps just like it did at 72 hours for the last non clipper.  Unless we get a bend in the 5 h field rather than a rounded look we won't see substantial lift or inflow.  Pretty obvious looking at the GFS Euro and GEM that the NAM right now is an outlier. Still time but I would not expect more than a nuisance event at this stage. 

Archived