SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mar 10 Clipper

ORH_wxman

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RGEM is slowing down and allowing just a bit of inflow. We'll see if other guidance can get there. Euro was actually kind of similar at 12z...didn't have the QPF, but the slow development and it actually put a pretty nice bullseye of ML fronto well into SNE.

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Slower too..that's the trend this evening.

I'm seeing pretty significant changes at H500--deeper trough, better downstream ridging--but not much difference in SLP track/intensity. And the Jet streak at hr 36 has come way north--probably more than 50 miles, but our SLP is virtually at the same position/intensity versus 18z at hr 36. I have to think the SLP track should correct north/deeper based on that UL depiction. Thoughts? 

The whole thing is tilted which is why the low is so far south. The moisture is basically forcing from frontogensis...not from strong low level inflow or a TROWAL but as we saw tonight, it's slowing slam with a sharper trough. Probably a red flag that the moisture itself comes a bit more north. 

27 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

GFS is really bad sometimes.  This had bomb scenario written all over it from the synoptics and all european guidance for my neck of the woods.  I guess it's good that the gfs figures it out 48 hours in advance?  

The GFS has had a really bad winter.  It's had some remarkably bad 24 hour forecasts.  The southern US storm in early January it had 6 inches of snow for places almost all models showed freezing rain 

25 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I'm seeing pretty significant changes at H500--deeper trough, better downstream ridging--but not much difference in SLP track/intensity. And the Jet streak at hr 36 has come way north--probably more than 50 miles, but our SLP is virtually at the same position/intensity versus 18z at hr 36. I have to think the SLP track should correct north/deeper based on that UL depiction. Thoughts? 

If we keep seeing this slower trend, then yeah, I'd expect this to come north. It still may correct north a bit even if it holds status quo simply if vortmax ends up slightly more potent

33 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The whole thing is tilted which is why the low is so far south. The moisture is basically forcing from frontogensis...not from strong low level inflow or a TROWAL but as we saw tonight, it's slowing slam with a sharper trough. Probably a red flag that the moisture itself comes a bit more north. 

Thanks. That's a good way to look at it, "tilted". I didn't quite see it that way til you pointed it out. 

It just bothers me that it seems like synoptics argue north, but all the models are south of where you envision the QPF. Clearly they all see something..and sometimes it's not worth complicating the forecast by tearing your hair out over it...but I just feel like this has decent bust potential on the good side in areas near the pike. I guess we'll see how 12z trends.

Archived