joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 10th 2017 Clipper disco/obs

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Morris said:

Thanks for posting this. It was all snow on the sim radar on the NAM. Wxbell just didn't accumulate them because of the surface temps.

Don't rely so much on the weenie maps. I'd be thrilled to see more than 2-3" in my backyard despite this NAM showing 0.5" liquid falling as snow. Thursday afternoon might hit 60 in spots. If this was a heavy burst of snow I wouldn't worry about the ground temp, but a long period of light snow is a different story. I remember a similar event in mid March 2004 that was heaviest along I-80 and Central Park had under 1" accumulate when 3-5" was expected because of the light intensity. Just outside the city had over 4" though. Hopefully this isn't too similar. 

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Don't rely so much on the weenie maps. I'd be thrilled to see more than 2-3" in my backyard despite this NAM showing 0.5" liquid falling as snow. Thursday afternoon might hit 60 in spots. If this was a heavy burst of snow I wouldn't worry about the ground temp, but a long period of light snow is a different story. I remember a similar event in mid March 2004 that was heaviest along I-80 and Central Park had under 1" accumulate when 3-5" was expected because of the light intensity. Just outside the city had over 4" though. Hopefully this isn't too similar. 

Don't we cut NAM totals in half or one third anyway?  And this is a clipper- in March.  Outside of areas that could get more from redevelopment (by that I mean Suffolk County) I don't think anyone gets more than 2-3"

4 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

12z RGEM looks terrible. It's way north, and has just a little light rain changing to a touch of light snow for NYC. Looks like no accumulation. 

This being an event mostly for the Catskills to SNE is on the table still too. Luckily the RGEM is still out of its better range. 

25 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Don't we cut NAM totals in half or one third anyway?  And this is a clipper- in March.  Outside of areas that could get more from redevelopment (by that I mean Suffolk County) I don't think anyone gets more than 2-3"

Not necessarily but we can't just look at qpf and assume thats all accumulating snow. It can stick at 33-34 for sure but needs to be at least moderate and preferably falling at night since the ground will be so warm to start

Some models are developing an area of snow showers with the vort coming through Fri afternoon which comes through NE NJ and the NYC area. Besides that, it's really a lot of mehh near the city, temps are in the mid 30s for most of the precip and it's mostly light with the GFS. North of the city sees most of the better overrunning and probably gets a good 3-5" on the GFS. 

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The NAM and RGEM could not possibly be more different. 

I cannot trust the NAM as its been shaky the last month.  The RGEM being vastly different from the Euro is bizarre but I can believe it somewhat because the RGEM is best inside 30-36.  The UKMET has by far been the most consistent with this, even the Euro was not on board til yesterday and its waffled south/north/south the last 3 runs

14 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Not necessarily but we can't just look at qpf and assume thats all accumulating snow. It can stick at 33-34 for sure but needs to be at least moderate and preferably falling at night since the ground will be so warm to start

Yes, that's my experience too.  It can even stick at 36 (barely) if it's falling hard enough.  

4 minutes ago, nyblizz44 said:

Ok so its clear the GFS iisnt buying  much into accumilations around the city for the clipper, but not having heard anything about wave 3 is interesting, it has been consistent with it for 3 runs..nothing on this run?

The storm is there. We should discuss it on March Model Discussion thread.

5 minutes ago, nyblizz44 said:

Ok so its clear the GFS iisnt buying  much into accumilations around the city for the clipper, but not having heard anything about wave 3 is interesting, it has been consistent with it for 3 runs..nothing on this run?

Wrong thread. 

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived