Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter 2017's Last Gasp

tnweathernut

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad for folks in central and southern Tennessee getting snow that haven't seen it in a while. As for the big swing in modeling throughout the week to the actual event, things literally went south in a hurry for KTYS and KTRI.

Also, though still early, the Tuesday potential phase and east coast bomber is starting to look too coastal and too warm. Afraid it looks like a very cold rain with sleet/mix garbage for the Eastern Valley except for above 3500 feet. Both systems may end up a horrible tease for a blowtorch winter. The hard freezes will do their damage to vegetation despite depriving us of snow.

It's still early to throw in the towel. The phase needs to be further WSW and colder, but it's not looking good. Looks like one to remember for the Mid-Atlantic region, however.

8 minutes ago, Mrwolf1972 said:

can someone explain this model rain on top snow in middle rain on  bottom shouldn't all to the north of that snow line be snow.

refcmp_ptype_us_ov.png

You need the heavier precip to drop the temp. If t stays light it may not be able to completely change over. 

Ive been in and out of the bands in middle TN all day and have yet to encounter a rain drop. Drove thru the heavy band near Nashville this morning. It was ripping between Murfreesboro and Lebanon. Caught back up with it in southern mid TN later. Both times there was some sleet/snow pellets at the onset. Now getting a light sleet/snow mix with the next batch.

Edit: right after I posted went outside to a rain/sleet mix. Lol!

11 minutes ago, Coach B said:

Ive been in and out of the bands in middle TN all day and have yet to encounter a rain drop. Drove thru the heavy band near Nashville this morning. It was ripping between Murfreesboro and Lebanon. Caught back up with it in southern mid TN later. Both times there was some sleet/snow pellets at the onset. Now getting a light sleet/snow mix with the next batch.

Awesome.  Glad you all are seeing some snow. Radar looked good out there earlier today.  Nice to hear some reports.

17 minutes ago, rbowman said:

Am I imagining things or is that a trip of returns south of St. Louis diving south? Is that another piece of energy that may be phasing with the southern system?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Looks to be the piece of energy pushing this thing to the south, needs to slow down a bit

1 hour ago, JCVol said:

What are the chances the system in Missouri slows down and doesn't push the precip south? and will this band coming thru the midstate have enough moisture to survive the plateau?

JCVol, the radar returns and models really like the areas south of I-40 for accumulating snow.  Looks like precip is on an ESE trajectory.  

What is the likelihood snowfall from the 2nd system breaks through? Most models suggest it will be just a tad too warm but could dynamic cooling cool the atmosphere just enough? Am I grasping at straws here? UPDATE: On the Nam 3km in particular the Rainfall/ Snowfall begins 6-8 P.M. and ends 11 P.M.-1 A.M. For Southeast Kentucky, Far Southwest Virginia, and Northeast Tennessee. All versions of the Nam roughly agree to this. The GFS has the precipitation coming a little later and lighter with no snow from this end of the eastern continental divide the CMC is similar to this however cold rainfall lingers longer before transitioning to the NW flow snow and colder temperatures swooping in for Wednesday. The NavGem while only viewed as precipitation without differentiation between liquid and frozen seems to suggest precipitation further inland than what it was previously showing at the same hour with some potential surprising amounts of snowfall on the back end which would no doubt be the white stuff. The RGEM seems a little more encouraging for such a desired event as it begins to fall into range. This is what I have deciphered from the models thus far from my unexperienced perspective. My hope is for a more westerly track of the low to our east as Carver mentioned and cloud cover over the course of Tuesday to keep temps low.

snip-1489296429231.png 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived